Faith vs science

More
5 years 1 month ago #334624 by Carlos.Martinez3
Faith vs science
Donthe two live togeather ? Do they help hurt or hinder one another ? What type of science do you believe ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334626 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Faith vs science
Some say faith isn’t a discipline of science yet what do you think ? I won’t argue for or against but early in time faith drove science - right wrong death life - regardless - faith did begin a lot of “science”. Don’t misunderstand my statement - faith is the substance of things hoped for and not seen and science answers the wonder with a constant fact or a constant result till we figure out and loose the wonder. What do you think? Love ya my temple !

Build, not tear down.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
5 years 1 month ago #334629 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Faith vs science
How about we clear up what we're talking about when we talk about "faith".

FAITH

noun
noun: faith

complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
"this restores one's faith in politicians"
synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction, credence, reliance, dependence; More
optimism, hopefulness, hope, expectation
"he completely justified his boss's faith in him"
antonyms: mistrust

strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
synonyms: religion, church, sect, denomination, persuasion, religious persuasion, religious belief, belief, code of belief, ideology, creed, teaching, dogma, doctrine

I notice that when some of us mention faith, it's more in the context of #1 (trust/confidence) . When another responds, they're responding in regards more toward #2 (spiritual) . Can we establish which one of these (or another but clear alternative) we are or will be using when talking about this?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Carlos.Martinez3, Loudzoo, Kobos

More
5 years 1 month ago #334630 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Faith vs science
Most of us being western and probably raised in one of several Christian faiths, naturally most of the discussion regarding faith is going to be centered around the literal belief of historical data presented by the Bible (Bible as the word of God), in opposition to theories proposed by science.

In that specific contest, I am hands-down against faith (Proteus’ # 2)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #334631 by
Replied by on topic Faith vs science
Yes agreed,

Version one of faith can be based in some type of evidence. That evidence can be experience of past behaviour. We have faith that our spouses are faithful to us because of their past behaviour and our belief that they remain faithful to us. However this form of faith does not lead to truth. In other words its unreliable because they could be cheating on us and we just have not discovered it yet. This is also a form of faith that says every time I drop my pencil it will hit the desk because of past behaviour, even though we cant absolutely prove that it will. This is the idea that science does not speak about truth, only conditional phenomena, If we learn more about that phenomena our theories evolve.

The second form of faith is one based on personal subjective experience where no evidence is given for the belief. This is belief without justification and by its very nature irrational. But at the same time very hard to sway the believer from because of their personal bias. This is also the reason that faith of this sort does not evolve. It becomes dogmatic and static because it is not based on any form of modifiable evidence.

More
5 years 1 month ago #334632 by Carlos.Martinez3
Faith - something we hope for or seek evidence for.
Not religion - notmorganisations but faith - hope - I hope I can light the room with this - nope let’s try again. Faith - not religion or man made facets.

Faith - that type ...

Build, not tear down.

More
5 years 1 month ago #334633 by Loudzoo
Replied by Loudzoo on topic Faith vs science
Thanks E - I have faith in the scientific process (#1 definition). I don't think there is much controversial about that!

Faith (#2 Definition) and science have often clashed because the power of the scientific method is extremely good at describing phenomena, that faith has merely guessed at in the past. However, there is room for both. They can live side by side as long as they know their limits and don't try and achieve answers to questions they are not suited to address.

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334634 by Proteus

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Faith - something we hope for or seek evidence for.
Not religion - notmorganisations but faith - hope - I hope I can light the room with this - nope let’s try again. Faith - not religion or man made facets.

Faith - that type ...

Hmm. Okay. If I'm understanding that, I'm getting that you're interpretation of faith is "hope", as in "I hope there is a god/force/etc"?

If this is the case, then can "maintaining hope" in a spiritual idea be considered a discipline? (Keeping in mind the very apples and oranges difference between science as an observational discipline and faith in this case being an existential discipline)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion

The Book of Proteus
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Proteus.

More
5 years 1 month ago #334635 by Carlos.Martinez3

Proteus wrote:

Faith - that type ...

Hmm. Okay. If I'm understanding that, I'm getting that you're interpretation of faith is "hope", as in "I hope there is a god/force/etc"?

If this is the case, then can "maintaining hope" in a spiritual idea be considered a discipline? (Keeping in mind the very apples and oranges difference between science as an observational discipline and faith in this case being an existential discipline)

As in I hope this works...

Build, not tear down.

More
5 years 1 month ago #334636 by Proteus

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote:

Proteus wrote:

Faith - that type ...

As in I hope this works...

Okay, could you give an example?

― Bruce Lee

House of Orion

The Book of Proteus

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi