Knightism vs the Force Discussion

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #334221 by
Replied by on topic Knightism vs the Force Discussion

Tellahane wrote:
Whose "we"? There are some members where who do believe in the force...Maybe not that they can float things across the room but everything else.

Your missing the point. Its a metaphorical statement. Dont worrry tellahane, your title is still in tact! :P

What I'm trying to say is exactly what you just said about belief in "The Force". Remember the Tao, the second you name it is the second it looses its meaning. So what is "The Force"? Well its different for everyone and that's how it should be. The second you try to impose YOUR meaning onto me is the second "The Force" becomes irrelevant. So saying we believe in "The Force" as defined by Star Wars is meaningless. My experience of this mystical thing that surrounds us is different than yours but we both agree to call it "The Force" because it defines a common title to that unique experience that we can then discuss. Beyond that the term is meaningless and when we lose site of that and assign it a dogma is when belief becomes meaningless as well.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #334222 by

Tellahane wrote:
I believe he was more referring to how easy it is to create a forum..

If thats what he meant its an even more meaningless statement. Who cares how easy it is to create a forum in the context of this discussion?

More
5 years 2 months ago #334223 by Loudzoo
As far as I'm concerned you don't need to be a Knight to teach here. You need to be a Knight to 'have' an Apprentice, or three. That is not the same thing.
Definition: to teach is to impart knowledge or instruct someone on how to do something.

A Knight rarely teaches an Apprentice - a Knight is someone who helps an Apprentice learn, they are a facilitator, a supporter and may provide guidance at times. Those are all things that a good teacher should do, but it is not teaching. It is the books, articles, podcasts and videos which a Knight suggests that provide the majority of the 'teaching' element in an Apprenticeship. As often as not, the Knight learns as much as they teach.

I get taught by all sorts of people here (whether they know it or not) - most of whom are not Knights . . . so if Kyrin,or anyone else, has knowledge to impart or instructions on how to do something I would encourage you to start a thread and crack on! You don't need to wait until you're a knight and you shouldn't think that Apprenticeships are all about 'teaching'.
This discussion was a great example set by Alethea: https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Abrahamic-studies/121938-the-force-in-scripture?start=0

If you are keen for a more Apprenticeship type dialogue then I would strongly encourage people to join the IP team. Supporting Novices through the IP is excellent practice for working with Apprentices in the future.

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Ben, Kobos, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #334224 by
Once again, Loudzoo wins TotJO.

Im not yet a Knight officially, but I help in the IP team, and have for a while. I am usually in a discussion of sorts in PM's with new members. I get involved in discord voice and text discussions. I'm not officially teaching, but people learn from me.

The trick is, however, being someone that a person would want to learn from.

EDIT: Another trick... not being too proud to learn yourself.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #334226 by

Loudzoo wrote: . . . so if Kyrin,or anyone else, has knowledge to impart or instructions on how to do something I would encourage you to start a thread and crack on! You don't need to wait until you're a knight and you shouldn't think that Apprenticeships are all about 'teaching'.

I believe I do that every day. In fact I am one of the few that actually does in the open forum. But this discussion was about knightly pursuit vs force discussion and my point was that people covet that Knight title because it affords greater privilege to take on apprentices and that in itself is an unspoken position of esteem that many desire. What would happen if we got rid of all the ranks except members and guests? Becoming a member requires completing the IP in some form and at that point they enjoy all the privileges and responsibilities of the temple. Do you think a more productive set of group discussions would evolve out of the membership about philosophy or whatever instead of this constant compartmentalized and hidden pursuit of rank?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #334227 by
I know a great majority of the active membership here has no interest in Knighthood here. They prefer discussing the Force, Jedi, Jediism, et cetera over pursuit of rank.

Different people, different strokes. For those that wish to pursue it, it is open. For those that don't, there are no barriers. As previously stated, beyond the 'veil' is simply administrative stuff, really not appropriate to be seen by just anyone with an account...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #334228 by

Arisaig wrote: I know a great majority of the active membership here has no interest in Knighthood here. They prefer discussing the Force, Jedi, Jediism, et cetera over pursuit of rank.

Different people, different strokes. For those that wish to pursue it, it is open. For those that don't, there are no barriers. As previously stated, beyond the 'veil' is simply administrative stuff, really not appropriate to be seen by just anyone with an account...

Why is it not appropriate? For example why are the apprentice forums hidden? That special place alone causes pursuit.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #334229 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote: I know a great majority of the active membership here has no interest in Knighthood here. They prefer discussing the Force, Jedi, Jediism, et cetera over pursuit of rank.

Why is it not appropriate? For example why are the apprentice forums hidden? That special place alone causes pursuit.

Pursuit... of learning, yes. But not all there continue that pursuit, or take on the mantle of knighthood, willingly or otherwise.

As to why it isn't appropriate... it can be quite in depth about a person's psyche, their fears, their faults. I'm sure people would like to not have that stuff for anyone with an email can see.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #334230 by

Arisaig wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Pursuit... of learning, yes. But not all there continue that pursuit, or take on the mantle of knighthood, willingly or otherwise.

that wasnt my question. I asked why is it hidden from everyone below that rank? Its just a training forum right? Why deny all below that rank the wisdom being taught there?

More
5 years 2 months ago #334231 by Carlos.Martinez3

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

that wasnt my question. I asked why is it hidden from everyone below that rank? Its just a training forum right? Why deny all below that rank the wisdom being taught there?

It’s just acsess not conspiracies.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, , For-Emris

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi