Apologies and actions discussion

More
5 years 2 months ago #333733 by Kobos
Unintentional consequences happen, a truly emotional apology is good and all in these situations but action only action corrects the wrong.

If you intentionally wronged someone, or caused harm knowingly, save your breathe, again action comes in here but to a much higher degree and even then don't expect forgiveness.

I work with enough issues where the only reason for apologies is because they got caught, are being pressured. Seldom are those who learn, abundant are those stuck in the cycle.

A personal example, I couldn't tell you how many times I apologized for something or another after waking up hung over, sometimes I even changed my actions but in the end non of that made a damn difference until I stopped drinking (breaking the cycle), made my verbal apologies (accepting fault) and DID what it took to make amends for it(correction).

In the end, I echo James; apologies are cheap, correction is not.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Tellahane

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #333740 by
Replied by on topic Apologies and actions discussion
We've been having this struggle with my (soon to be) 4 year old son- sorry isn't an avenue of absolvement, but a verbal expression of regret. And, more importantly, you can't trust an apology if it isn't followed up with a change in behavior.

We get people these days who apologize strictly as a custom, and than get mad at the person they've wronged for not accepting it, like they're owed forgiveness, and the wronged party is wronging them now.

Than there are the truly insincere- they're "apologies" come with a lot of hedging, dancing around whether or not they've actually done something wrong. You will often hear many "if"s, and "might/may have"- you can't give a sincere apology without actually admitting that you've done something wrong.

And finally we have the infamous "sorry-not-sorry", the worst applications approaching the ordeal not only as a mere formality of social custom, but with disinterest in forgiveness, presenting the wronged party as the actual problem. "I'm sorry you feel that way ".

Still, this is learned behavior, and it's possible to help people change their behavior and attitudes. Acceptance should also be sincere, and neither end of the equation can be if it's conditional beyond what's reasonable. Just as one cannot offer sincere apology without admition and promise for the future, so too can one not forgive without letting go.

Just as important, though, (this is a struggle with my 11 year old niece in particular) you're not obligated to forgive. "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. "

Like so many elements of our social nature, knowing when to apologize, forgive, or not to, is a skill set. We can only make so many demands of others without demanding the same of ourselves.

Am I making sense?
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by .

More
5 years 2 months ago #333742 by Adder
Yea the blatantly childish 'sorry not sorry' seemed to breed the adolescent 'its better to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission' hedge :D

Just people trying to get away with stuff and justifying it to themselves as an underlying self narrative of disingenuous behaviour. In my spiritual application, to lie (or not care about accuracy) is to undermine your own progress!!! So its entirely counter-productive in those terms, and therefore a hallmark of a materialistic and short sighted person.... which I'll myself hedge by saying 'not that there's anything wrong with that' :silly:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Tellahane, Kobos

More
5 years 2 months ago #333746 by rugadd
I don't require apologies. I don't require people to change to suit me.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Zenchi, Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Tellahane, Kobos

More
5 years 2 months ago #333755 by JamesSand
As much as I was against apologies generally, I think if we accept the premise, then it is worth clarifying that apologising for acts with unforseen or unintended consequences is different to apologies for your own character or nature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo, Tellahane, Kobos

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #333814 by Adder
My Facebook feed reminded me of this thread, saying;

Here’s how to apologize:
1. Look them in the eye.
2. Explain why you are sorry. (why)
3. Acknowledge why they were hurt. (because you did)
4. Tell them what you will do differently next time. (and)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Pwl5PExezeg

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi, OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo, Tellahane, Kobos

More
5 years 2 months ago #333822 by Loudzoo
The only other crucial thing I would want to clarify is (as Benjamin Franklin is quoted):

"Never ruin an apology with an excuse".

We have to own the mistake / intentional misdemeanor and not be tempted to explain it away by calling on third parties, or circumstances.

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #333826 by
Replied by on topic Apologies and actions discussion

Loudzoo wrote: The only other crucial thing I would want to clarify is (as Benjamin Franklin is quoted):

"Never ruin an apology with an excuse".

We have to own the mistake / intentional misdemeanor and not be tempted to explain it away by calling on third parties, or circumstances.

I mostly agree. Sometimes things need to be explained, but honestly it can wait for another day.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi