Debating the existence of toxic masculinity/femininity

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
5 years 2 months ago #333274 by ren
Toxicity is subjective, nothing more than an opinion.

Toxic black mould fights other toxic black mould in order to survive. That's where the 'toxic' comes from.

The duck reproductive system exists so we get to have ducks. (Look it up) I take it ducks are toxic.

You are jealous of hour neighbour's kids education so you do extra shifts to send yours to a better school. Jealousy is previously described as toxic in this thread. Giving your kids a better chance of success is toxic.

Etc

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #333278 by Manu
So, bear with me, I am not from the US so I might be missing something, but...

What I am getting from this topic is that some people dislike “toxic masculinity” because it is vague, overgeneralizing and broadly misleading into antagonizing a whole group of people.

So, similar to when liberals disliked “radical Islam”

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 2 months ago #333281 by Adder
Physiological toxicity is not subjective, and so behavioural and social toxicity probably isn't either, rather its just harder to pin down. It's easy to say everything is subjective, but the subjective experience of objectivity is not real subjectivity IMO.

I think toxic is anything harmful such that continued exposure leads to destruction of what its acting upon. So when statistics start revealing things like the large (and disproportional) number of women being killed by their partners in DV incidents, and the high rate of male suicides, and general high level of male violence.... a society starts trying to address peripheral aspects of cultures which might feed the factors around those things when they can easily be identified and have no other useful function. They are isolated as being of no use AND harmful, therefore they are identified as toxic. The idea being if they are of no real use, and removed, it improves the health of the society and its members, including the men.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #333310 by

Manu wrote: So, bear with me, I am not from the US so I might be missing something, but...

What I am getting from this topic is that some people dislike “toxic masculinity” because it is vague, overgeneralizing and broadly misleading into antagonizing a whole group of people.

So, similar to when liberals disliked “radical Islam”

Nope, you are conflating two different concepts and that is a fallacy. Masculinity is not an organization or a spiritual paradigm. It is a set of physiological attributes of the male species. Islam on the other hand is a made up artificial exclusive club that supports misogyny, prejudice, oppression and occasional violence in the name of an imaginary yet blood thirsty god.

Attachment disec3b1o-sin-tc3adtulo.jpg not found

Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #333312 by

Adder wrote: Physiological toxicity is not subjective,

How did you come to that conclusion? Of course it is! In the first place you have not defined toxic so how can you say its not subjective?

• ren
    Registered
More
5 years 2 months ago #333320 by ren

Physiological toxicity is not subjective

Err.. Yes it is.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #333323 by

ren wrote:

Physiological toxicity is not subjective

Err.. Yes it is.

No its not. Actually its really not even a valid term. How is something physiological toxic?

• ren
    Registered
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #333325 by ren
Well take peanuts and people.

To some people peanuts are toxic, to other people peanuts are a harmless tasty source of protein.

Whether a peanut is toxic rests entirely on the subject's physiology.

Looking at your previous reply i think you just experienced a najor brainfart Kyrin :silly:

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by ren.

More
5 years 2 months ago #333333 by Manu

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Masculinity is not an organization or a spiritual paradigm. It is a set of physiological attributes of the male species. Islam on the other hand is a made up artificial exclusive club that supports misogyny, prejudice, oppression and occasional violence in the name of an imaginary yet blood thirsty god.

Ha! Conservatives make me laugh. So do liberals. I guess I just like to laugh.

Toxic masculinity is just as much of a made up, relativist term as radical Islam. Just like I am sure some men might find what others accept as "masculine" appalling, the same thing happens to people who labels themselves as being members of Islam.

You might do well to model Ren in how he calls out fallacies. He actually takes the time to show proof for what he is calling. You just use the word fallacy like modern feminists use the word "patriarchy".

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #333346 by Adder
The experience of it is subjective, all experience is subjective... but its not the experience of it which is being discussed, its the existence of it both inside the subjective world and outside the subjective world in the objective world.

If it were all about the subjective experience with no concern for objective reality, then it would be without care of causal footprint and degrade to banal emotional conduct which would quickly devolve to violence under the lowest level of social interaction.... like competing for resources etc. The subjective experience of it has some value, in understanding the objective changes resulting from it - but no-one is talking about predicting objective impacts from imagined subjective experience - its the objective reality emerging from all those actual subjective experiences which allows something to be identified, measured and assessed. That is my understanding on how a policy need is developed, but addressing a need does not make for good policy alone and so inevitably at some point one must delve into the finer details and even venture into understanding subjective experiences within the event to ensure policy impact does not worsen the situation by changing it, for obviously not all change is good and its the process which determines rash and reactionary progressive efforts from considered and conservative progressive efforts.

Physiological toxicity is both a subjective experience of an objective reality, and an objective reality of the physiological system undergoing harm. But as mentioned the former is really only relevant to how one feels about something within the context and circumstance of when it is being experienced.

So to with social and behavioural toxicity, there is the subjective experience of participants but this does go to represent an objective footprint once it leaves the subjective experience, as it derived action or other type of impact to self or other. The toxicity exists less in the subjective experience of the person doing it (else they probably wouldn't do it) but that does not mean it does not exist.... for thinking that would just be a very narrow and self centered perspective AFAIK.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Adder.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi