TOTJO LIbrary Discussion

More
5 years 2 months ago #332514 by Loudzoo
As the new Librarian I want to open a discussion about what TOTJO members would like to see in the library. When I submitted my application for the position I included a number of my own plans but ultimately I would like to curate a Library that works for the members and provides them with what they need. There are some obvious things:
1. Fix dead links
2. Make some additions
3. Create Reading / Viewing / Listening lists

These should be relatively easy to do but I would also like to develop a library of videos and podcasts too - to widen the breadth of the media available and bring it into the 21st Century a little more. Please PM me, or add to this thread, suggestions - if you have them. I can't promise to include all suggestions, but if on review, they are suitable I will be inclined to get them in there.

Beyond that, I want to encourage everyone to use their local libraries to source hard copies of books they would like to read, and most of all, to use me as a resource for recommendations. Whether you know what you want to learn about, or not, I should be able to help you find the learning resources you need, in most of the areas of study we cover in the Temple.

Lastly, this will take time - it will be a marathon, not a sprint, but I'm confident we can work together to improve what is already a great resource!

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #332522 by Carlos.Martinez3
Is this a wish list ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
5 years 2 months ago #332526 by Loudzoo
Replied by Loudzoo on topic TOTJO LIbrary Discussion
It can be a wish list if you like - but try and keep it realistic! For example, recreating the Bodleian Library isn’t realistic :laugh:

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332531 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO LIbrary Discussion
Aww shucks! You can't reach the Bod even with your Librarian L-space powers?
What might be a handy dandy thing would be a loaning system for books that are copyright but that one of us happen to have in physical form, and we are happy to trust other members with via post - I don't mind lending things to people on the understanding they would keep on being passed on. I mean, I wouldn't necessarily want these books back again (unless I really DID want to revisit them - but at the moment I can't imagine that being the case - which releases some of the pressure of responsibility) but it would be nice to know that as far as honesty within Jediism can go a book might keep on moving from hand to hand to hand... But this might be a complexity of system too far. One for the idea graveyard to pull out again when your bored and things have settled down.

More
5 years 2 months ago #332536 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic TOTJO LIbrary Discussion
Cloud library by bibliotheca is worth putting out there as a resource.

Local libraries have access to their own digital repositories

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Loudzoo

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332537 by Loudzoo
Replied by Loudzoo on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
Obviously I could reach the Bod with my L-space powers but its only 40 minutes away, so its easier to drive!

Great minds think alike Twig - I've been having similar thoughts, and that system could work. In many cases though, postage costs aren't that much less than buying books second-hand, online - but we'll see!

An easier fix will be to promote the use of this website: openlibrary.org . You can borrow ebooks here for free, for two weeks. Sometimes you will have to join a waiting list - and wait a while - but that's often the way with libraries!

I don't know about other countries (yet) but most, if not all, local libraries in the UK have an ebook service too - as Ros rightly said.

The Librarian
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Loudzoo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 2 months ago #332538 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
Just so you know, I am a fan of not having books not in the public domain available on the website. I'd be keen to have a list of books necessary for, say the IP and a means to set up a scholarship if someone wants to buy them second-hand or TOTJO wants to purchase licenses for these books or...whatever

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo, Rex,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332542 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
I began to create a whole program for revamping the library a few weeks ago. But, once I heard that they were looking for a new librarian, I stopped because I didn't want to step on any toes.

I agree with others here... The library must become whole by existing within the current law. We have a duty, as Jedi, to respect the creative endeavors of those who work so hard to provide us with access to wisdom.

Any plan that includes the removal of copyrighted material is a plan I can get behind. I absolutely approve of a system that would teach people to use their own local libraries (as well as Inter-Library Loan), and I approve of a scholarship program that would, in essence, fund the IP for those who cannot access materials.

One thing I always want to remind people of: You pay for your library with your taxes. And, I use my library so much that I'm sure what I pay in taxes (in total) pretty much covers what I would have to pay were I to purchase books and access resources.

Loudzoo, if you need a team of people to help you with the library, I will be first in line to offer my assistance.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332544 by Loudzoo
Replied by Loudzoo on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
I hear you Ros and Connor. I'm looking at solutions for this too. If you own an ebook you are legally entitled to have it on six devices at any time. If we can collate all the ebooks that we own between us at the Temple then we should be able to get towards a completely transparent lending system for ebooks. It will be complicated by the ebooks being registered under multiple amazon / kindle accounts so it may not work but I'm looking into it . ..

These guys offer a free ebook strategy consultation so I'll be speaking to them:
https://www.authorimprints.com/how-to-create-a-corporate-lending-library-using-kindles-and-kindle-ebooks/

The Librarian
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Loudzoo.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332545 by Nakis
Replied by Nakis on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
Question: Has anyone looked into the usage of materials for non profit organizations or for religious groups, as well as the usage of materials by these groups without financial gain?

It also seems very reasonable, if we remove books and begin asking permission from the groups owning it, it would also create a valid reason to host such information. The only arguement I see against that would be the "Did you guys have this stuff set up before you asked" question, which is usually dismissed as a grey area and that we are attempting to become better than we were before.

Edit: There is always a way around something, and not to imply we need to use loopholes and such, but there are perfectly fine ways of both parties finding an agreeable way to get things done. It's not always black and white and I encourage finding ways to improve the system. As an aside, especially for non profits, many of these cases hinge on the entity generating profits, such as...say if we sold PDF copies of the book. We are extremely liable there. Krishnamurti has a lot of their stuff freely available on their own website if you know where to look for it, and thus has a far smaller basis of claim against anyone to use it and all we are doing is making the search for that information easier.

Edit 2: I also want to ensure that we have the greatest ease of access for everyone. I'm not saying any one way is best, but allow me to state my concerns that I would ask be in consideration:

1. Some Jedi do not have access to great library systems that can meet their need.

2. Some Jedi have limited funds in terms of buying or sending books to each other.

3. Some Jedi are still under their robes and may rather keep digital files that are easily hidden rather than risk being outed in public if the books are found by family, friends, co-workers.

I only ask on these items to help address those who are without or are in more risky situations. I'm not saying there is a perfect solution, nor that we need any 1 program that addresses everything, but I ask when we enter this conversation that these are kept in mind and that we continually find ways to keep costs low, keep high dissemination of information, address concerns, and keep things legal.

Licensed Clergy Person
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Nakis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Loudzoo, For-Emris

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi