Where can it be built?

More
5 years 4 months ago #330792 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Where can it be built?
I'll build your temple when you start paying your Jedi fees...

Everyone gets caught up in the perfect jedi escape with bamboo and some old dude playing a dulcimer....

That's all great to talk about, but what people (i say "people" I mean, miserable city dwelling cretins) need is just a quiet retreat. For a lot of them that is as simple as a coffee shop, but anyway - a temple can be as basic as a room off the main drag with hot water, maybe some books, a bit of quiet, perhaps some natural light. A way to step out of the distraction and take a moment to yourself.

Yes, lots of churches have big exciting stone buildings, but many of them also have these. Sometimes there's a guy there (layman or someone of office within the church) who just asks how you're doing, offers to make you a brew, or leaves you alone, as necessary.

A big step towards Jedi being taken seriously, might be Jedi's ability to offer this sort of pastoral care.

Not their distant vague pseudo-buddhist temples and wannabe kung fu masters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #330793 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Where can it be built?
Heck with the dulcimer, i want my fleet! :angry: :angry:

People take you much more seriosuly when you have a navy ;-)

Dude, glad to see youre still around

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #330794 by
Replied by on topic Where can it be built?
We all know it will definitely take a lot of work James. There is no denying that at all. Even the smallest of chapels will still take some work. There is the cheaper route which is taking abandoned chuches, synoagogues and redesign it, even though personally I'd like it built from scratch.

A place to retreat and also help those less fortunate will help strengthen the Jedi and their resolve as well as community.

Although this is really about if one was to be built where would it be built

I know some had mention monastery involving farming, guest rooms , training, libraries ect. And I think it can reach to that point but there comes a time after talking about it, one does something

I mean if Norse pagans and sumerian pagans can work together to get their retreat, I don't see any reason why Jedi can't. :)

I'd like to hear ideas of possible places and possible ways to have it, aside from just winning the lottery xD
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by .

More
5 years 4 months ago #330798 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Where can it be built?

Any hole that needs it.

get a map of population centres, cross off areas that are sufficiently serviced by other agencies, and you'll be left with a list of sites where you could put your temple.

I suppose a question is: It is a secret club for decoder ring wearing Jedi, or a place for everyone?

If it is the former, it doesn't even need a building, you can arrange a time and place (and use private residence, or rent the local hall, or use a park) with the local Jedi gang.

If it is the latter....you can pretty much still do the same. I do yoga at a scout hall. There's a piece of paper on my fridge that tells me what days and times that scout hall magically becomes a retreat of spandex and gentle music.

You'll find most churches (and apparently several militaries) started in people's lounge rooms, or the local pub.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
5 years 4 months ago #330802 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Where can it be built?

Yabuturtle wrote: We all know it will definitely take a lot of work James. There is no denying that at all. Even the smallest of chapels will still take some work. There is the cheaper route which is taking abandoned chuches, synoagogues and redesign it, even though personally I'd like it built from scratch.

A place to retreat and also help those less fortunate will help strengthen the Jedi and their resolve as well as community.

I know some had mention monastery involving farming, guest rooms , training, libraries ect. And I think it can reach to that point but there comes a time after talking about it, one does something

I mean if Norse pagans and sumerian pagans can work together to get their retreat, I don't see any reason why Jedi can't. :)

I'd like to hear ideas of possible places and possible ways to have it, aside from just winning the lottery xD

But Why?, why do we need a singular place? we have gatherings where we meet at various locations around the world, how is our world, our environment, the locale in which we live, the amazing beauty of world right outside our doorsteps not our temple as a whole? Pretty sure for those here who do believe in the force, don't believe its specific to any area's constructed by us, that its everywhere. Can we not celebrate it everywhere?

It's one thing for gatherings, but one of the most appealing thing about the gatherings is they tend to in most cases I believe move from location to location so we can as a group not only commune together but explore together. Why does that have to be a singular place?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #330803 by

Tellahane wrote:

Yabuturtle wrote: We all know it will definitely take a lot of work James. There is no denying that at all. Even the smallest of chapels will still take some work. There is the cheaper route which is taking abandoned chuches, synoagogues and redesign it, even though personally I'd like it built from scratch.

But Why?, why do we need a singular place? we have gatherings where we meet at various locations around the world, how is our world, our environment, the locale in which we live, the amazing beauty of world right outside our doorsteps not our temple as a whole? Pretty sure for those here who do believe in the force, don't believe its specific to any area's constructed by us, that its everywhere. Can we not celebrate it everywhere?

It's one thing for gatherings, but one of the most appealing thing about the gatherings is they tend to in most cases I believe move from location to location so we can as a group not only commune together but explore together. Why does that have to be a singular place?

Well, I think the question more in line with where would the first one be built. Eventually, it'll happen. And of course it doesn't have to be the only (I hope its not the only)... but whichever is built first would be in a singular location, unless we decide to go all travelling circus with it.

More
5 years 4 months ago #330808 by Tellahane

Arisaig wrote:

Tellahane wrote:

Well, I think the question more in line with where would the first one be built. Eventually, it'll happen. And of course it doesn't have to be the only (I hope its not the only)... but whichever is built first would be in a singular location, unless we decide to go all travelling circus with it.

I suppose, me personally I don't see where it would get much use, we have everything we need all around us already but to each their own. I can understand that at least.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #330809 by

Tellahane wrote: I suppose, me personally I don't see where it would get much use, we have everything we need all around us already but to each their own. I can understand that at least.

Agreed. I guess, its sorta pulls into that Tony Stark Quote. "If you're nothing without the suit, you don't deserve it." To put the twist on it... "If you're nothing without a Temple, you don't deserve it." ;p

Would, however, be a dream come true to make a physical location a reality. A place for meeting, proper IRL knightings, and for those few that decide to live life as a Jedi. ;p

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #330810 by

Arisaig wrote:

Tellahane wrote:

The best place usually is where they are most concentrated but it is kind of tricky due to census information and that they are often spread out.

United States or UK is usually talked about the most as far as where to build it but also Turkey I guess since they had enough Jedi there to raise concerns about wanting a temple so there must have been a significant population there. Although I hear England since it is smaller, may likely have higher concentration of Jedi as opposed to America, which is bigger but also much more spread out.

It's not a need,. There's so many things we don't need but it is nice to have though ^^ But I would love to help the process along anyway I can. But I think a temple can help encourage Jedi to to become more connected and others of course would follow the path more if they see a religion with a temple as opposed to none. I feel masters and apprentices can learn better too if it was face to face. Online is good but learning through interaction I think is best. It is a bit hard to train in lightsaber swordsman shit without interaction. Plus proper knightings.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by .

More
5 years 4 months ago #330811 by Tellahane

Yabuturtle wrote: But I think a temple can help encourage Jedi to to become more connected and others of course would follow the path more if they see a religion with a temple as opposed to none. I feel masters and apprentices can learn better too if it was face to face. Online is good but learning through interaction I think is best. It is a bit hard to train in lightsaber swordsman shit without interaction. Plus proper knightings.

I wasn't aware this wasn't at temple? =p

Yes in person experiences are generally better, though I spent plenty of time face to face with my TM via skype video conferencing, which was a lot cheaper since we literally live on opposite sides of the world. But for the rest of this I want to focus on this singular sentance here:

Yabuturtle wrote: ...and others of course would follow the path more if they see a religion with a temple...

Caution is the best word I can use here. Now I'm speaking for myself and my experiences here but I Don't feel it to be the "Jedi" way to go out and recruit. We make ourselves available, for sure, if those come seeking. But we do not go out of our way to do so. Our beliefs are exactly that ours, they do not hinge on whether Jediism becomes one of the major religious beliefs out there or not. Nor is it our goal for it to, we seek to expand what we know, and we pass it on to others who wish to know it. We don't need to advertise it, we're already plenty easy to find.

I've found that most people who come to totjo are coming because they are already seeking, because what they have is not working, that they are in some kind of struggle and are seeking something that makes sense to them. We make ourselves available for that, for them, for those who need our help. I wouldn't be too focused on the idea of trying to make ourselves excessively visible when we pretty much already are. I think if there is to be a "physical" temple anywhere it should be for the focus of refining what we do have, and improving on our teachings there if anything.

Again personal opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi