Zen Seeing

More
5 years 3 months ago #330619 by Streen
Replied by Streen on topic Zen Seeing
You may all be correct, that art is about the process, about self-expression. I'm sure that works for a lot of artists. But, apparently, not for me. After painting for 23 years, I tired of painting mountains and hills and trees and flowers, etc. I am personally more content with looking at the real thing. I understand not everyone would agree with my take on this, but then again, art is personal ;)

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #330629 by
Replied by on topic Zen Seeing
“Zen does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes.”

― Alan Watts

More
5 years 3 months ago #330875 by Streen
Replied by Streen on topic Zen Seeing

tzb- wrote: “Zen does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes.”

― Alan Watts

A nice quote, from a man who wrote volumes about something that cannot be described in words.

How, may I ask, is this a relevant quote, or do you not have anything to original to say? ;)

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #330877 by
Replied by on topic Zen Seeing

_Vergere_ wrote:

tzb- wrote: “Zen does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes.”

― Alan Watts

A nice quote, from a man who wrote volumes about something that cannot be described in words.

How, may I ask, is this a relevant quote, or do you not have anything to original to say? ;)

Sometimes all that needs to be said, has already been said... And by those that understand the topic far better than ourselves. Sharing a relevant quote is not lack of originality. If the same quote is shared over and over again in a single thread... Well, perhaps then. But not if everyone else has missed the point.

More
5 years 3 months ago #330989 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Zen Seeing
Why? For others who are not there. But if its a striking scene, then also oneself in a future time... as a picture of something from ones past can serve to scaffold recovery and reinforcement of the memory fragments of that scenes richer tapestry.

It's a creation of its own, and so has a purpose in its own right... no need to compare it as a measure of worth, or think it must compete. Comparison is probably only relevant in so far as accuracy or interpretation, probably.

For I don't think something like 'painting' is analogous to something like 'consumption', and so the reality that a painting is not as good as reality is not so relevant.... where eating a chicken nugget is really not the same thing as a eating a nice little piece of fried seasoned crumbed skinless chicken breast.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #331102 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Zen Seeing
"A nice quote, from a man who wrote volumes about something that cannot be described in words."

Yet, spoken about on every block, every scene and every home. Trying to be captured in all art, landscape paintings included. It is even in the simple recognition of the real (the actual mountains ect.).

Art can be a key for sure, in my opinion. however, I want to kinda put it this way, because of the name of the thread. I think it's ok to shelf that skill, the facts that there is a skill, there is art, there is the reality behind some of the images. And seeing zen is all those things and more.

I think in your sense right now; the skill built and talent, the images you have made and seen, they have served in this moment to highlight a beauty which maybe just wasn't as bright to you before. Regardless of whether you choose to do your skill, that just depends on which beauty you wish to be highlighted now. Perhaps, choose to not use it now is neither good nor bad it just is. From what I got from your words and the way you put it, it has still given you beauty in your life and that's is pretty sweet, and IMO what others say about it truly is irrelevant.

I do push people to do art for many reasons, but I think, this is a more complete and in depth to put why.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Kobos.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi