Clairsentience

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #328929 by
Clairsentience was created by
"Quite possibly the most under-estimated psychic gift, this is the ability to feel strongly and sense the emotions and feelings of people, animals, spirits, and places around them. You can feel emotions of others both in your heart and in your body; you can likely feel spirits around you. If this resonates with you, you may want to look into what it means to be an empath."

Ran across this term while floating about the interwebs. Does anyone have any experience with this, or have any resources to learn more? The info I found seemed... well, lacking and rather broad (its descriptors matched me pretty well, but I don't feel I have this ability, so not sure if its just such a broad definition that it can be applied to anyone with any form of empathy).

For those that have info or experience in it, how does it play into your Jedi Path, if at all?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #328932 by
Replied by on topic Clairsentience
To date clairsentience has been shown to be nothing more than the practitioner elevating the concept of intuition to an unnatural and unproven level. It is easily explained as the result of confirmation bias, expectancy bias, fraud, hallucination, self-delusion, sensory leakage, subjective validation, wishful thinking or failures to appreciate the base rate of chance occurrences, not as a paranormal power. Any efforts to explain it in scientific terms has been relegated to nothing more than pseudo-science.

Intuition itself, which this practice is based on, is an interesting phenomena. It is described as the ability to acquire knowledge without proof, evidence, or conscious reasoning, or without understanding how the knowledge was acquired. But even this has been relegated to nothing more than irrational thinking based in faith. This most commonly comes from confirmation bias where the individual will ignore a missed guess but focus only on correct guesses. Intuition should not be confused with instinct either, which is a rational expression of innate biological factors.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #328933 by

Arisaig wrote: Does anyone have any experience with this, or have any resources to learn more?

For those that have info or experience in it, how does it play into your Jedi Path, if at all?

I've clearly stated the purpose of this thread. Searching for resources about this subject. If you have any, provide, rather than state it to be daydreaming and wishful thinking without anything to back it up. We are not having a repeat of the Psychometry thread, thank you.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by . Reason: clarification

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #328934 by
I am looking for and not finding a write-up of an awareness drill that Rory Miller teaches. This is the closest I can find at the moment and it's not the thing I'm looking for precisely: chirontraining.blogspot.com/2005/12/learning-from-emptiness.html

To summarize my memory of the drill:
Be aware of your intuitive responses to things. Got a bad feeling about that guy at the bus stop? Notice it.
Then, step back and ask yourself what you noticed that caused that generic bad feeling. Was he drunk at an odd hour or an unusual location? (Because Saturday night around the party bars is different from Tuesday afternoon near the library.) Was his clothing out of place (too nice, not nice enough)?
In Miller's opinion, the more you spell out the logical reasons why you have that type of response, the more you will trust them and the more of them you'll notice.

It's not proper clairsentience, but it's a step in the direction of learning to trust your own intuitions.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #328935 by

Arisaig wrote:
I've clearly stated the purpose of this thread. Searching for resources about this subject. If you have any, provide, rather than state it to be daydreaming and wishful thinking without anything to back it up. We are not having a repeat of the Psychometry thread, thank you.

I have a great deal of experience in it. 12 years as a practicing witch. I dont recall ever using the term daydreaming. I would not equate that with the subject. I can give you resources on why it is not a viable practice if you like? I can only assume that you want both pro and con comments on the practice, right?

I particularly like Jungs idea of intuition as one who acts not on the basis of rational judgment but on sheer intensity of perception. This is one that chases possibilities and creates realities relevant to his perceptions. Once again this is not an individual that predicts his environment but rather shapes his environment to his prediction.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #328936 by
@Kasumi

Wonderful read! :D gonna have to meditate on it, see what i can learn from it. It does seem to explain, to a degree, this 'phenomena' and why people think they do or do not have this ability. :) Thanks for the share!

@Kyrin

Normally, yes, I would want pro and con views on such things. But, for now, I am searching for resources that would explain these things, much like how I sought out resources for astral projection rather than resources to prove astral projection wrong, despite me thinking, initially, it to be nothing but malarkey. Because, sometimes, to understand something we have to view it as fact and pursue it as fact until one can come to the conclusion themselves of its validity or not. I'm sure you can appreciate that reasoning. (side note: you did say self-delusion, which I would classify the same as daydreaming)

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #328941 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Clairsentience

Arisaig wrote: Because, sometimes, to understand something we have to view it as fact and pursue it as fact until one can come to the conclusion themselves of its validity or not.

What you probably mean here is that there is some utility in entertaining an idea for the purposes of internal critique, yet the way you phrased it sounds as though you suggest to accept it first, treat it as fact by default before one can make a judgement one way or the other.
At any rate, if the way you phrased it was indeed the way you meant it, then, with due respect, I disagree. There is no number of ideas that couldn't be taken on as fact pending investigation, and there is no limit to how lacking their own internal consistency might be, or how badly they can contradict one another. The sheer magnitude of the cognitive dissonance we'd have to be able to appreciate and live with if that was our generally held epistemic approach can hardly be overstated. We thus do not actually believe that there is a tiny green toy tea pot orbiting high above the earth until it is disproven. We do not actually believe that all the chocolate on earth belongs to us until such time that we find someone else owning any and we don't believe that there is an even number of marbles in a jar full of them until someone counts them to find out. The last example is particularly illustrative, because while odd is the opposite of even in this context, neither statement about the number of marbles can be said to be the positive statement any more than the other. If we accepted things as fact before we had reason to judge them so, then in order to be consistent with that standard we'd have to believe that it is a fact that the marble number is even and also believe that it is a fact that it is odd at the same time. But of course we know that it can only be one of the two, so by believing one we must reject the other and vice versa. So in order to be consistent with our standard, we'd have to be inconsistent about logic more broadly.
Enter the infamous "burden of proof". Often confused with the annoying habit of skeptics to cop out of the responsibility to lay out their reasons for disbelief, it is really what fixes our epistemology to make it consistent with the rest of our thinking. And it is quite simple at that:
Rather than assume that any statement outside of rules of thought is true by default and until we can judge it so or otherwise, we do not assume anything about the truth value whatsoever, and wait for an argument to compell us to make that judgement. The default position with respect to any claim must be - as a precondition for intellectual honesty - a neutral, stoic non-belief.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Gisteron.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #328942 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Clairsentience
It's a widespread thing because it's counter-productive to developing ones own strength. People promote what keeps other down I've noticed - just so they stand out more.
IMO, its good practise up to a point but does not need animals to develop, plants can suffice. So it's not needed (edit: I mean the diagnostic level of connection) and, once you can generate an intensity of experience such that it enables a deeper 'dialogue', beyond having the capability it's a bit 'dirty' and unnecessary. I guess it depends how you manifest the sensation of connection, it most easily of pain IMO, but that is just unrefined bliss - the trick is the alchemy to transform the one to the other (and no I do not mean normal pain, but spiritual energy).
I'm just speaking of course (like always) out of my arse from a few decades of experience and so my framework to answer will differ from others - which is the great thing about discussions!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #328957 by

Arisaig wrote: Normally, yes, I would want pro and con views on such things. But, for now, I am searching for resources that would explain these things, much like how I sought out resources for astral projection rather than resources to prove astral projection wrong, despite me thinking, initially, it to be nothing but malarkey. Because, sometimes, to understand something we have to view it as fact and pursue it as fact until one can come to the conclusion themselves of its validity or not. I'm sure you can appreciate that reasoning.

Actually it is not something I can appreciate because your reasoning is a logical fallacy, a form of circular reasoning called begging the question. By assuming the conclusion to be true and then seeking out only facts to support that conclusion you are not being honest in your research. Instead of doing this, the better course of action would be to form several hypothesis about the phenomena and then try to prove each one false. The one you cannot prove to be false becomes the working one that new predictions can be formed from and then you set out to prove those predictions. By doing this you are not committing a fallacy in assuming your reasoning is either true or false but keeping a sceptical mindset at all times and letting the evidence alone show the validity of the claim or not.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #328958 by
Please for those who disagree on the subject, let's not have a repeat. I'd rather us discuss the topic. The topic is about Clairsentience and how other Jedi work with it or if they had experiences with it. The topic however is not about discussing whether it exists or not.

I only have some signs of when the environment is in distress, usually by pollution or junk or too much negativity surrounding the area. I had went across my dirt road cleaning all of the garbage, enough to fill two bags. And I was able to feel that the environment around me was at peace and relived. This hadn't occurred, until I started practicing more spirituality. That's what I like about it is that it can help give you a frame of reference on things and you could sense things you normally wouldn't notice.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi