Psychometry

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332615 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Psychometry
That I do not believe is necessarily true, I am willing to be proved wrong.

Racism is a man made concept which exists not in the bounds of science. In fact, science would say that we are all one race, human. However, there is much that can be seen that makes us better suited evolutionarily to our varied environments. Irrespective of our belief that a certain people with features unlike ours are a different race, this is not born out with true scientific discovery. That does not stop us from having to tick certain boxes on a census form

Instead, what has historically occurred is we (generally) have invested in a truth and valued only the "science" that validated it as opposed to putting it up to true scrutiny including that of our own experience. We (generally again) let hysteria and willful ignorance dictate our policy and personal treatment of individuals not like that.

There is a slippery slope from false belief to policy and treatment. Psychometry is rather benign unless one puts faith in that ability and others put faith in their ability to do what psychometry claims. That is the danger of belief.

Racism is a trigger word. Like any other trigger word. Its useful, but I think we missed the point. False belief has led to homophobia, has led to large scale institutionalism and any number of other things that plague our world.

There is real harm in false belief as Kyrin has shown with the video about Sylvia Brown. The same can be said for any faith healer. If people believe in faith healing I have no problem praying for them, but I won't tell them to stop taking their medicine or throw away their wheelchair or other such things. I'd be more likely to tell them to go to the doctor than anything else. The real danger of false belief is when someone puts their faith in a practitioner because of a title and doesn't do due diligence, something I think can happen if practices not proven are in a Jedi's tool belt.

We have a real responsibility to make sure that the tools that we use do not/cannot harm anyone

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Avalon, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #332616 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Psychometry
That's awesome Ros well put. It all depends how far one is willing to push said belief. For example the with racism, do you allow the different traits of what we have constructed as race to control how you act toward someone? Similarly, if someone said that they believed in psychometry enough to stop a bus from hitting them, I would be certain to inform you and the authorities in their area.

I agree on faith healers, I have had a family member who did not seek treatment due to a faith healer intervention. Heart problems don't heal themselves , so I would also advise people to stay on their meds. However, as an academic/philosophic study I don't feel that it is outside the realm of a useful tool.

Tools however, do need to be defined in what they do before they should be put anywhere, even more so should we put them in the belt.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332618 by
Replied by on topic Psychometry

Kobos wrote: I did get what you were saying. So. I was being purposefully dense, not just to mess with you though, more in the sense that I wanted to see the whole argument strung together the way you were intending it. I think sometimes the wholeness of a thought or view point degrades when it is a series of posts, so by leading it this way, albeit a little shadily, we come to a point where you expressed the entire view in one post (mostly, enough for someone who has not read thru the whole thread to get) which is devoid of personal pot shots.

I would counter argue with you on this, we cannot prove psychometry to be true, we earlier in the thread discussed no reliable way to test it. This said though I agree that it is very unlikely to be real it is not deserving of the idea being entirely fought against or eradicated. That said I hate falling on the "What If" train but well, what if? Particularly in fields of nuero-science, brain operation and psychology we are still discovering things all the time, destroying the pursuit of something as benign as this could in fact become a hindrance to furthering those fields. That said if it were going to be true it would most likely need to be confirmed in the form of brain waves. For example a place may make you feel like you are being watched but that can be the effect of magnetic fields on the micro-current operating your brain. If it can go one way it would seem possible it could go the other. Meaning the current within the brain waves could effect outside objects, however, at this point it is minute enough to be un-measurable.

Much Love, Respect and Peace
Kobos

Although I don’t agree with the method, I can say fair enough. Things do degrade in this medium and often times need to be consolidated.

The problem with your counterargument is that you do not acknowledge any sort of viable mechanism by which this ability might be not only viable but useful. “What if” is a good question, but we then need to be able to test “what if” and if it’s not testable or shown to be false we also must acknowledge that as well by not holding onto false belief. We have been able to map the electromagnetic spectrum from gamma rays as large as the universe itself down to the plank distance, the distance so small anything smaller becomes meaningless. And yet we have been able to go further into the quantum world where mass does not even exist and we have been able to define mechanisms for function and measure those mechanisms. Now granted we don’t know everything but we have the means to learn more because we have shown these things to actually exist and we can prove that.

Now lets take your idea. It brings us to a strange concept, that of actual truth vs metaphorical truth. Take the concept of magic for example. If you look at both spectrums of magical use, we come to this idea that “real magicians” are actually fake and the “fake magicians” are actually real. What I mean by this is that stage magicians perform illusions and they can acknowledge and even reveal the mechanisms to produce those illusions. However without that we can still look at the trick and be amazing and dumbfounded as to how it was achieved. However we still know it was done by natural means. On the other hand “Real magicians”, ones that claim they can do real magic, have no capability to produce such mechanisms and they can’t reliably produce any results and yet they still make claims that they can do supernatural things beyond explanation. The only rational choice here is to reject their claims. And yet people all the time still make the irrational choice to their detriment.

Consider this. If I told you I have a mated pair of unicorns in my back yard but these unicorns existed in such a way as they cant be detected by any natural means. However I alone have developed a special process in which I can not only communicate with those unicorns but even interact with them. Through this process I have learned that these unicorns have the special ability to cure childhood cancer. So I now run a business in which I advertise the cure to childhood cancer through a special process that I put the kids through in my back yard. The “treatments” cost $10,000 a session and often times it takes several sessions. As well sometimes the unicorns can effect perfect cures and other times they are less successful due to the esoteric nature of their existence. However I have seen the most amazing cures and I think I can cure your child as well.

Would you be repulsed by such a business?

More
5 years 2 months ago #332623 by Kobos
Yes, I would be morally against that on several levels (same with prayer healing), if you find a cure for childhood cancer I personally think you should give the patent out, but that's just me.

I see what you are saying, but if the mechanism could me measured via frequency of brainwave or bio-energy being applied to an object, even with no actually physical effect would you consider this as Psychometry? Again though it comes down to how do we identify the mechanism.

Kobos

Sorry for being a slim shady.

MF DOOM Books of War

Knight of the Conclave

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332626 by

Kobos wrote: Yes, I would be morally against that on several levels (same with prayer healing), if you find a cure for childhood cancer I personally think you should give the patent out, but that's just me.

I see what you are saying, but if the mechanism could me measured via frequency of brainwave or bio-energy being applied to an object, even with no actually physical effect would you consider this as Psychometry? Again though it comes down to how do we identify the mechanism.

Kobos

Sorry for being a slim shady.

Sure a brainwave measurement or some such similar thing could count, but I'm not sure what that would gain if it did not produce a physical effect. Say being able to read an object and find its history. Beyond just brain waves you would also have to show what functional mechanism the object used to actually store these histories and then be able to find how these brain waves interact with these stored histories and is able to decipher them.

As for the unicorns, There are only two of them so it would be impossible to patent it. However what if I gave this service away with no charge. Instead I only asked for voluntary donations but that no one was under obligation to give if they could not. Or better yet, the child could come and visit my unicorns for free, no charge. And I sold a book that taught you how to manifest your own unicorns in your own back yard and so you could perform this same function on your own. The book is voluntary to purchase and costs $9.99. And I guarantee it will work, although some results may vary based on the capability of the psyonic power of the individual practitioner.

More
5 years 2 months ago #332627 by Kobos
How much did Unicorn R&D cost I am ok for you to recoup money to care for and maintain the unicorns but beyond that you want children to die then? ;)

MF DOOM Books of War

Knight of the Conclave

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332630 by

Kobos wrote: How much did Unicorn R&D cost I am ok for you to recoup money to care for and maintain the unicorns but beyond that you want children to die then? ;)

The research took many decades of personal study starting with spending a year with Buddhist monks in the mountains and on that journey I discovered ancient forgotten Sumerian texts that describe the manifestation of the unicorns. I studied these texts for years before learning their secret and I can teach you this secret as well! you only need believe me. It is your lack of belief in my unicorns that will cause children to die for I alone have the answer. ;)

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
5 years 2 months ago #332643 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Psychometry

Racism is a man made concept which exists not in the bounds of science. In fact, science would say that we are all one race, human.

If science treated humans as it treats other animals, we'd have numerous human subspecies. Completely different adaptations to climate, visible differences, different genetic weaknesses, different resistance to disease, and different genetic ancestry (africans have no neanderthal or denisovan ancestry for instance).

Meanwhile every time a spotty slug dies another species has become extinct and the world is dying.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332647 by
Well, I for one have used the time elapsed during discussion of this topic to try my own experiment in psychometry.

It's amazing! In five out of five readings, I've been able to hold an object, and accurately describe it's owner's appearance, and explain what the object meant to them and how often they used it.

Next, I'm going to try it with someone else's stuff.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi