Psychometry

More
5 years 2 months ago #332191 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Psychometry

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Manu wrote: describe it as something that “happens” to them, not as something they control.

Nevertheless, even if it is something that just "happens to them" there must be a mechanism that causes this and that mechanism can be discovered and tested. Once we understand that mechanism we can harness it to our benefit. People being struck by lightning is something that "just happens to them". At one time we did not know why but now we know about static charges and polarities and the electrical nature of storms. We harnessed that otherwise wild energy and use it to great effect today. If there is even a shred of truth to this psychic ability there is no reason to believe we could not do the same thing, and yet in all this time not a shred of reliable evidence or reproducible phenomena or predictable capability has emerged of its study. The hypothesis has been proven nonviable over and over. Time to move on to a new hypothesis and stop wasting time here.

Conclusion to psychometry: Highly improbable.

Conclusion # 2 to psychometry: This isn't the power you are looking for. Move along. :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #332224 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Psychometry

Snowy Aftermath wrote:

Rosalyn J wrote: What practical use would it be for a Jedi?

Why the need for "practical" uses? What practical use does art, music, poetry, or the universe have? Why does a flea? Where does love?

There are some things we simply do because they're in us to do :)

And who would stop at that? Why stop at asking for the practical use and not think about what possible answers might look like? Would one not be curious to ask just how come these things are "in us to do" if they genuinely had no use at all? Clearly, indulging in these things costs us resources. If these costs were not outweighed by any benefits at all, natural selection would have punished our would-be ancestors for developing urges for such things. If I had to come up with a use for the arts off the top of my head I would say that it is a means to relieve stress, thereby improve productivity in a significant portion of the rest of our time. This is consistent with the fact that some people desire to do or to enjoy more art than others as they suffer greater or smaller burdens from stress otherwise also. Love, too, as a feeling our species has evolved to feel, can have obvious benefits for purposes of reproduction, which is exactly why it came to be.
Warning: Spoiler!

Some things, like creativity or love, are in part or in full by-products of a complicated convergence of effects. Nature doesn't think. It just let's survive what ever happens to not die, and that passes on what ever it had, whether it helped it to survive directly, or was a by-product. Another such by-product is credulity. In adulthood, ignoring social effects, it can only be a detriment or not a detriment, but the benefit it has in childhood outweighs it so much that we have not yet evolved to grow out of it. We wouldn't be debating psychometry (or indeed much of anything of the sort), if we were good at telling what does and what doesn't have practical use. And we wouldn't be so bad at telling that, if there was no practical use to what makes us so bad at telling...

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332245 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Psychometry
It coincidental (for me) that this topic is up now. I was crossing from one parking lot to another yesterday and there was a dude walking ahead and to the side of me and he was just the size where i couldnt tell if he was skinny or just lean (“lean” = low body fat but strong, with muscular development and “skinny” = low body fat but weak, with very little muscular development. Not claiming myself to be a stud (getting there, though ;)) merely explaining) and i had just left from one of the wrestling practices at my gym and was wondering how i would match up with him if we grappled ... and he felt someone sizing him up and turned and looked at me. This sort of thing happens all the time and when it happened yetseday i thought abiut TOTJO.
My hypothesis is that attention is.... i dont know lol its something we can all sense, to some degree. I think of it as being like radio waves or maybe light. If we can feel other peoples attention on us then there ought to be some way to measure attention. If scientific minded people want to prove “psychic” kinds of things, maybe thats where they should start.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
5 years 2 months ago #332257 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Psychometry

My hypothesis is that attention is.... i dont know lol its something we can all sense, to some degree. I think of it as being like radio waves or maybe light. If we can feel other peoples attention on us then there ought to be some way to measure attention. If scientific minded people want to prove “psychic” kinds of things, maybe thats where they should start.

Isn't that how Weeping Angels work?

More
5 years 2 months ago #332260 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Psychometry
Yea, the problem comes that it is something that should be testable and science should confirm it, and then when it tries and fails repeatedly the excuse is that it's some kind of magical and scientific testing is an entirely unfit approach for the task. Like you can't win with these things, it really is both scientific and non-scientific depending entirely and exclusively on what's the more convenient stance to take at the time.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 2 months ago #332262 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Psychometry
Good excuse to keep at it then! In the absence of effective tools to strike oil, keep digging with ones hands :D

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332265 by
Replied by on topic Psychometry

Adder wrote: Good excuse to keep at it then! In the absence of effective tools to strike oil, keep digging with ones hands :D

No, that's a horrible excuse to keep at it. Its an utter waste of time and energy and resources. Either develop better tools or find a different source of fuel. That is effective.

As for sensing attention, that is a proven natural process of the brain. Its developed in us over millennia through evolution and its why we survived as a species in a world full of predators out to eat us. Its not supernatural or psychic, just effective subconscious awareness of our environment.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by .

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332266 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Psychometry
From eyes, to magnifying glasses, to microscopes, to telescopes.

Start where you are

Although, Gut reactions/intuition have been explored here:
https://youtu.be/CjVQJdIrDJ0

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Rosalyn J.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332268 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Adder wrote: Good excuse to keep at it then! In the absence of effective tools to strike oil, keep digging with ones hands :D

No, that's a horrible excuse to keep at it. Its an utter waste of time and energy and resources. Either develop better tools or find a different source of fuel. That is effective.

As for sensing attention, that is a proven natural process of the brain. Its developed in us over millennia through evolution and its why we survived as a species in a world full of predators out to eat us. Its not supernatural or psychic, just effective subconscious awareness of our environment.

Attachment EC28D756-8A6D-4988-A0B3-6065E545CD95.jpeg not found

Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332271 by

Silvermane wrote:

Attachment EC28D756-8A6D-4988-A0B3-6065E545CD95.jpeg not found

This is also horrible advice. Failure is an ever present specter in our lives and just as valuable a teacher. There is a difference between valid pursuit and meaningless pursuit and we need to be able to recognize that at times when the motivation to keep struggling no longer outweighs the suffering. Victory is never assured in our lives just because we "do not give up". We also need the courage to know when to give up. This causes reward not external to us but internally in our own personal growth.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi