Would we use lightsabers?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332338 by
Replied by on topic Would we use lightsabers?
This is a question that keeps coming up again and again. From those claiming that they've figured out how to make a real functioning lightsaber in their garage (and then promptly disappear... prolly abducted to make lightsabers for the army or whatnot), to those saying we need combat ready plastic lightsabers...

Why do Jedi, instruments of peace, need lightsabers that are combat capable/reliable/ect? Why the fixation on the capacity to commit violence with a glowstick?
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by . Reason: boopidoop because i can >:3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #332340 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Would we use lightsabers?
Well I don't know if you've heard of the Star Wars movies Ari, but basically, because it's friggen' cool

On a more philsophical side, whilst I do (more or less) consider myself a man of peace, I am quite prepared to do violence if it seems that is it the necessary (or if not necessary, on the balance of things, best course of action).

I'm not really sure how many people who like swords and sabres and knights and video games are actually all that keen on violence (in the way that I mean. More or less everyone is capable of passion, but using violence as a tool is a bit different)

There's a quote, that I can't find, about benevolent dictator Vetinari, something about "Applying the least amount of force necessary to achieve a resolution - whether that is an army between nations, or a knife blade between ribs" or words to that effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332341 by
Replied by on topic Would we use lightsabers?

JamesSand wrote: Well I don't know if you've heard of the Star Wars movies Ari, but basically, because it's friggen' cool

Star Wars? What's that? :silly:

But still, it can be cool without combat.

Case and point, a video I made today:

Warning: Spoiler!

Even then, if you wanna throw other people in and make it cool, its usually chorographed. You don't need anything super combat capable for that. Those that make it fully combative... well... it usually ends up becoming quite repetitive.

Case and point, the recent Lightspeed Saber League Competition:

Warning: Spoiler!

Not like there is anything wrong with what they're doing. They're enjoying it. But if its a matter of 'coolness', actual combat usually isn't as glorious as a choreographed fight or solo practise.

On a more philsophical side, whilst I do (more or less) consider myself a man of peace, I am quite prepared to do violence if it seems that is it the necessary (or if not necessary, on the balance of things, best course of action).

I agree, and am the same. But, of all the methods to commit violence if necessary... why a glowstick?
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by . Reason: layout.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi