Would we use lightsabers?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328498 by
Replied by on topic Would we use lightsabers?
Custom sabers can be useful at least as a baton. Except for dark sabers they are kind of useless because of how fragile they are.

All in all they are very handy as training weapons and in the dark too. Double if they ever do make them, pikes would be best or standard ones. I have wondered if they would make them would military use them or used by the everyman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #328499 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Would we use lightsabers?

Have you ever been hit with a custom sabre? A proper thwack to the head will daze, stun, and even lay a person out for a bit.

as would any sword invented and built in the last three and a half thousand years.

Which is probably why we're not making a lot of effort to invent a better sword.

People are squishy, killing them is not really a stretch for our technology.

I know in movies, artillery is mostly just used to create ambience so the heroes have some dust and noise to run through, but in reality, if the Bad Guys of the Day dropped a few M795 rounds (or the spacey-wacey equivalent) in the approximate direction of the Heroes, all the laser swords in the world won't help you. (it might be considered "uncivilised", but there's got to be a line somewhere between high minded nobility and one-on-one duels, and effective control of an engagement)

and if you do have a laser sword, well then you've got something worth stealing. It's a funny thing that sometimes the more you try to protect yourself, the more problems you attract.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328500 by

JamesSand wrote: People are squishy, killing them is not really a stretch for our technology.

Gods above I've missed your quips James. XD welcome back.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328502 by

JamesSand wrote:

Uzima wrote: Access to means of defense is a right.

Is it?

Says who?

Whether it is wisdom or not, my country's laws are (to the effect of) you have the right to defend yourself in the event that it is required, you don't have the right to arm yourself in preparation to attack, and then call it defence if you happen to be the victor.

Well, in theory, The Force shows us our "rights to act" through the natural world we live in..

Essentially, as every being has the free will to act, so does he reap the consequences of those actions. In the course of his freewill, he comes to possess things. First, most importantly, his person, the vehicle of his will.. and thus begins the limitation of Action.. not his will to act, but his right to.. and they're not arbitrary limits.. but more like deterrents..

Rob, and you could be robbed..
Kill, and you could be killed..
Etcetera, etcetera..
Retaliation was the basis of the M.A.D. strategy of the Cold War..

When a being becomes rational, these fundamental principles remain. Over time, he may rationalize in his mind that it is more beneficial to cooperate than to risk his own life and possessions against retaliation. He may also rationalize that another might plot on his possessions without cause or notice and must be prepared for the possibility..

Obviously though, these deterrents aren't always respected and some purposefully overpower those weaker than themselves to add to their own strength. Wanting to IMPOSE their will on nature. Then others may band together to protect themselves from those marauders. Thus the first kingdoms were established on the shoulders of imposing men.. and on the backs of those who would oppose them..

Eventually, we come to our modern age. Where we have finally established societies where the respect for these natural limitations is enshrined in a social contract and collectively enforced.. at least, they're suppose to be.. however, the inclination to use others to increase our power, regardless of those limitations and society's willingness to uphold them.. our willingness and understanding being the most likely target in undermining our autonomy..

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328718 by
I doubt I'd be comfortable with a full fledged lightsaber, but if one could be created (assuming that it doesn't already exist) to be more like a training lightsaber then of course.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #329143 by
Totally wouldn't even touch a real light saber. I barely trust myself with a steak knife.

More
5 years 5 months ago #329154 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Would we use lightsabers?

ReallyRiver wrote: Totally wouldn't even touch a real light saber. I barely trust myself with a steak knife.

Haha, its true!! I'm the same with buying a sword... I don't think I want a sharpened blade katana in the house, when I can get a dull one instead :unsure:
But then again I'm not sure why not. It's like a 50/50 thing.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
5 years 5 months ago #329159 by Tannis Yarl
I have two lightsabers within reach from where I sleep. I also have a Sharp Katana close to hand. If my home were to be invaded in the dark hours before dawn I'd light my path with the lightsaber and either dispatch my attacker with the katana, or pummel my visitor for his bad sense of timing with the glorified light stick. Two options are open to me. The Light of the lighsaber allows me to see and choose. My living space is very small and cramped, almost labyrinthine, so I control the space around me. I am confident that regardless of the circumstances I could control them to avoid unnecessary violence. The best thing about our current version of the lightsaber is that under normal circumstances it is at worst a non-lethal weapon. It's ability to illuminate our surroundings is an under appreciated bonus.

Tannis Yarl
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #329178 by

Tannis Yarl wrote: I have two lightsabers within reach from where I sleep.

*cough cough* still waiting to seem em in action *cough cough* ;p

More
5 years 5 months ago #329183 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Would we use lightsabers?
Was thinking this morning, they almost make more sense as future walking stick that was weaponized for personal defense. Which would explain why no-one in the macho outer rim uses them for weapons, and everyone in the developed worlds have no need (because of advances in prosthetics, probably because of people overclocking walking sticks for fun and loping bits off). Also, ya never know when you might need a crutch in a hurry, and a portable walking stick might be handy. I just wonder if they had a seat attachment :S

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi