Would we use lightsabers?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #328117 by
Replied by on topic Would we use lightsabers?
Lightsabers are actually more possible than people might think. Recently, there have been experiments with photons and they saw some pretty crazy stuff..

Turns out you can actually freeze photons in certain, mainly super-cold, mediums. Even certain crystal like mediums. Not only that, but when they're slowed down. They gain mass and can be stuck together. Creating superphotons.

Granted, it has more use in computing than weaponry for the time being. However, it goes without saying that it will probably get there.

As far as actually using lightsabers. They'll probably be more ceremonial. They'll have some use as a tool. It wouldn't be a primary weapon if a useful one at that. If i did it would be a pair along with other tools and weapons for maybe long expeditions or something. Then again, I'm pretty sure folks would think twice about mugging somebody that might have one concealed lol

However possible it may be. As students of The Force I think we should study to be proficient with whatever is necessary to defend Life. Other than that our focus should remain on our connection and flow in The Force. If lightsabers come with that. It's a bonus lol
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #328134 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Would we use lightsabers?
Not really. The closest you'll probably ever get in this century is an acetylene torch. If someone does invent a flux capacitor, maybe

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #328135 by
I could see them being useful for lawncare services, or lumberjacks. Other areas of the construction world. As a weapon? I have practiced with bokken and accidentally hit myself. A lightsaber would be much less forgiving. It is also all edge. So it is in most cases as much a danger to yourself or something else you dont want to cut as that which you do.

More
5 years 6 months ago #328141 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Would we use lightsabers?

Uzima Moto wrote: Lightsabers are actually more possible than people might think. Recently, there have been experiments with photons and they saw some pretty crazy stuff..

Turns out you can actually freeze photons in certain, mainly super-cold, mediums. Even certain crystal like mediums. Not only that, but when they're slowed down. They gain mass and can be stuck together. Creating superphotons.

Right. Yea, well, I was arguing just the sort of costs it takes to have a blade that cuts with radiation alone, because I felt that it may be unfair to demand both that and a photon trap or what ever other kind of containment may be appropriate. But yes, while arguably very little of the description is impossible on the face of it, it is even less realistic than I was painting it to be thus far, and there may well be a case to be made that this is not a matter of our technology not being advanced enough, but that we are hitting natural limits there won't be much of any getting past.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #328172 by
Makes me think how dangerous double bladed lightsabers are if standard ones are too much

Like other things, I'm sure a setting can be added where you can increase the intensity and the heat of it if you wish, if we get to that point

More
5 years 6 months ago #328175 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Would we use lightsabers?
Magnetic containment of plasma is a fun way to view it, with that containment field serving to 'repel' other containment fields (other lightsabers) by its magnetism. But if something enters the field then its basically passing into a furnace!!! The idea trips up on the science a bit, like how it would need to somehow contain the heat otherwise you'd get a bit too tanned from it :D

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #328184 by
Would we? Well, as it stands now, many can't even agree that we should be using them in their current form simply to separate ourselves from the fiction. Some don't use them, as they are, on principle simply because they don't want to come across as just a huge nerd. Others (like myself) embrace that and just do what we want.

Now, would we carry around such a weapon (if the technology to make one as seen in the movies was to come to pass)? Well, perhaps. But at all times? Probably not. Maybe in places with open carry laws, but it would be treated the same as any other deadly weapon. Licenses, training, and legality would come into play a lot... and do we really need the law breathing down the neck of the Jedi community, making us political, or even worse, commonly seen as criminals in preparation because of the actions of a few people calling themselves Jedi but not following our code of nonviolence, love of life, and protection of the defenceless decided to go berserk with a lightsabre.

I, for one, have a lightsabre... or, more fittingly, a glorified glowstick. I could carry it about on my belt at all times, call it religious paraphernalia or whatnot, and probably get away with it. But why would I? They are, even at their cheapest custom quality, quite expensive. Carrying them about risks them being stolen, damaged, or lost. And its simply a loud flashlight. If it was a deadly weapon, I only imagine the price would significantly go up, at its cheapest going for, as we have currently, our highest end custom sabers. It would, to put it bluntly, make it nearly impossible to afford for the average person, and even if someone could get their hands on it they wouldn't want to risk taking it out and about daily.

I do agree, for ceremonial purposes it would be... well, bad ass. One of my favourite scenes from the fiction is from the 2003 animated Clone Wars series, Anakin's Knighting Ceremony.

I'd recommend skipping to ~57 seconds in, you'll see what I mean for those that have never watched that series.

Its a symbol that is integrally, unwillingly or not, that is bound to our community simply because of the name we took up to describe ourselves. If we called ourselves monks, we wouldn't have this issue. But no... we chose Jedi because of who they are, and their lightsabres were part of their Path and separated common man, or even them at the beginning of their Path, to who they are as Jedi Knights.

So... would we use them? Perhaps, for those that could afford them or could afford the resources needed to make one and had the technical skill to make it themselves. But as weapons? I'd hope not. Outside of training, symbolism, and ceremony, they are (as seen in the movies) dangerous and pose so many problems, maybe even escalating situations when they could have been handled more simply. Yes, they sometimes solve situations, cause everyone to pause before getting violent... but it would not only be us using them if they were made. It would be common men as well, perhaps even violent, deranged ones. And their actions with our symbol would reflect on all of us, even if we had nothing to do with it.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #328185 by
Although while I certainly don't agree that people should not have weapons, as it should not be illegal for one to defend themselves and others, I do think training should be required for a couple weeks, on safety, not only so people don't hurt themselves but don't hurt others in the process. Like with guns as someone who is not trained well can hurt themselves or innocents in the process. Same would apply for lightsabers especially

I always wondered did lightsabers have a special lock on it. When carrying it on your waist wouldn't the button be pressed accidentally and the blade would go through their leg. Maybe a safety lock like on guns?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #328186 by
Many did, from the fiction, but they were not typically visible. Many masters didn't even have buttons to activate it, having intricate locks inside the saber to turn it on, and only they knew how to do so efficiently.

Some did have buttons, but again had internal locks only they could turn on and off, or were just unable to be used without the Force. Usually this was done by Knights and masters, apprentices were often only given basic schematics to follow, and as such (and with their limited understanding and ability of the Force, they just had simple switches and buttons.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #328299 by
If there is any you would want to become real?

Standard

double bladed

double bladed spinning

curved hilt

crossguard

lightwhip

lightsaber pike

guard shoto

Would you dual wield?

Any particular color you'd like to see for the first time?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi