What if The Thought Camera was invented?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #327714 by
Nikola Tesla had thought of making such a device. Wasn't made of course but it could project mental images on a wall.

I always thought he was very underrated in comparison to other inventiors but what if a full proof version of this existed.

No one would even think about committing crimes would they?

If there was a court case and we could use this if someone was asked a question and then display it
https://monsterminions.wordpress.com/2015/07/20/on-photographing-thought/

The thing is one would have to worry to see if it may have been tampered

but it'd be better than any lawyer, witness or lie detector.

And pretty much every politician could be asked questions and see if the images would then prove otherwise.

This alone could be used on prisoners to see if they really did commit the crime.

What do you think?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #327720 by
You make no sense. In the first place this is just an abstract exercise because thoughts are not real and cant be photographed. And secondly if such a process existed to read thoughts you claim there would be no one to dare to commit crimes. And then you go on to say we could use it on criminals. But if no one dares to commit crimes how would there be criminals?

This is similar to the moral dilemma of a Gods existence. If God appeared and proved beyond the shadow of a doubt he existed would the atheist concede to have to worship him? In my case if God (christian version) did appear and prove his existence I would still not worship him because I still believe him to be a moral thug. So in your example, no it would not stop crime and it would only serve to hinder the rights of individual freedom and create that Illuminati state you are so afraid of.

More
5 years 6 months ago #327721 by Amaya
Thoughts are not actions
So even if you photographed thoughts it wouldnt be proof of anything but actual thoughts
And if you start policing thoughts
I guess this whole planet would be a lunatic asylum

Oh wait.... it is isn't it?

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

More
5 years 6 months ago #327722 by Kobos
The idea of Minority Report came to mind when I read this. That's scary stuff to get into when you boil it down.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 6 months ago #327723 by Carlos.Martinez3
Tesla believed that he could invent a camera to read mental imagery and thoughts. In an article published in the Kansas City Journal-Post in September 1933, he told reporters about a device that would be capable of “photographing of thought.”

There’s one of my favorite movies called Minority Report. Good stuff but leaves the question of - if there are devices - there can always be ways around those devices. Rules vs rule breakers-
Law vs law breakers-
Intent vs actuality-
Great stuff to think about. Heavy stuff .
I’m the end there’s an old saying - a lock isn’t made for a thief, but for the honest man- if a thief wants something - they will make the way rather than earn it.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 6 months ago #327725 by Carlos.Martinez3
@Tim - ya beat me to it !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #327732 by
For sciencing and For easier to consume sciencing

TLDR: We are a long ways off.
For the hypothetical:

Beyond it being just a wildly out of reach goal- first designing all the necessary "stuff", programming the AI, and then passing the legal gymnastics necessary to hook everyone up to this(then again, we might willingly hook ourselves up, consider oversharing on social media)- in order to become an effective crime preventative tool, people(and when I say people I mean *everyone*, including those likely to commit crimes) would have to consent to active, 24/7 monitoring, which is unlikely, and so it would have to be forced. The place the world would have to get to for this to be implemented is just unbelievable. Big brother literally on your shoulder demanding to know why you roll your socks instead of fold them.

In a courtroom setting...
Well, as you can see from the links at the top, what people witness, what registers in their mind, reality, and the AI to display said data currently all vary wildly. And those were with a specific set of pictures. Imagine everything you see in one day, and vast amount of unpredictable and uncontrollable images. Even under the assumption that those variations are overcome and accurate images can be displayed, I don't think this system would prevent crime.

Crime would evolve, as it always has. Police get better vests, criminals get better guns, so on and so forth. By the time said technology was prevalent, the criminals would have also gotten smart enough to come up with ways to circumvent the system designed to catch them.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by .

More
5 years 6 months ago #327735 by Adder
Everyones wired uniquely afaik (at the deeper level), so each person would have to be mapped - but since the wiring is ongoing so would the mapping..... to get 'experiences' out. Or at least that is what the overlords want me to think :)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #327736 by
If anyone needs eyeball replacement I'm starting up an underground clinic... just PayPal your fee to kyrin and await the spiderbots...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #327744 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: You make no sense. In the first place this is just an abstract exercise because thoughts are not real and cant be photographed. And secondly if such a process existed to read thoughts you claim there would be no one to dare to commit crimes. And then you go on to say we could use it on criminals. But if no one dares to commit crimes how would there be criminals?

This is similar to the moral dilemma of a Gods existence. If God appeared and proved beyond the shadow of a doubt he existed would the atheist concede to have to worship him? In my case if God (christian version) did appear and prove his existence I would still not worship him because I still believe him to be a moral thug. So in your example, no it would not stop crime and it would only serve to hinder the rights of individual freedom and create that Illuminati state you are so afraid of.

I really don't understand this strange fascination you have with my threads where you do not offer anything but snarky remarks and basically go against everything I say and offer little reason why. Am I really the only one who notices this habit of yours? You don't agree. That is fine. I am sure there are others you can discuss with. It just gets old you have nothing new to say and you think I can't figure it out. I get it You won,t like what I have to say.

Anything that is used can be absused. Robots, terraforming thought project in ect. Something is needed where we would neednanlie detector but to have it full proof, but not try to make it a police state either. I wonder what was his main reason for wanting to make it then.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi