The endless Navel-gazey spiral of doom

More
5 years 6 months ago #326943 by Manu
THE ENDLESS NAVEL-GAZEY SPIRAL OF DOOM

There’s an old apocryphal story from 16th-century India where a young man climbs a large mountain to speak to the sage at the top. Supposedly this sage knew, like, everything and stuff. And this young man was anxious to understand the secrets of the world.

Upon arriving at the top of the mountain, the sage greeted the young man and invited him to ask him anything (note: this was way before Reddit threads). The young man then asked him his question, “Great sage, we stand upon the world, but what does the world stand upon?”

The sage immediately replied, “The world rests upon the back of a number of great elephants.”

The young man thought for a moment, and then asked, “Yes, but what do the elephants stand upon?”

The sage replied again, without hesitation, “The elephants rest upon the back of a great turtle.”

The young man, still not satisfied, asked, “Yes, but what does the great turtle rest upon?”

The sage replied, “It rests upon an even greater turtle.”

The young man, growing frustrated, began to ask, “But what does–”

“No, no,” the sage interrupted, “stop there–it’s turtles all the way down.”

Full article here .

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #326944 by Carlos.Martinez3
Some roads lead to a never ending loop - some lead directly to answers. Some questions lead us to ourselfs. Some won’t have answers. I’ve heard a story similar to this growing up about the rain and water and a stream. Chasing it is foot work compared to enjoying it.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Kobos

More
5 years 6 months ago #326948 by Carlos.Martinez3
Found it

Two brothers had a father who always told them that water can be the most wonderful thing on earth and one of the greatest teachers. Living in a small country type of community they would go togeather often to the river. As one brother tried his hardest to catch and figure out how to “catch the teacher “ the older more calmer watched his brothers efforts always leaving him empty handed and upset. After many years, the quest for the teacher as they joked about, became a more complex pursuit for the younger brother and it would keep him untill the wee hours of the night. One day the older brother said to the younger, who had water in his hand slowly draining through his fingers- I’ve watched the rain return to the river and back into the clouds which gives it back to the river and I’ve watched you toil for many years yet... you sleep very little and often times upset. I - watch and enjoy and sleep deep, knowing that no matter the form the water will be my teacher always.

Got that from am old farmer in Texas.
“The persuit May result in just that - buisy work. Some times it may not but after a while ya think we would learn our lesson and sit the ( blank) down and enjoy things rather than chase em. “

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #327311 by
I've read a similar story in the Gospel of Phillip..

"DONKEY AND MILLSTONE

A donkey turning a millstone walked a hundred miles.

When it was set loose, it found itself in the same place.

Some people travel long but go nowhere.

At twilight they have seen no cities or villages,
no human constructions or phenomena of nature,
no powers or angels.

These miserable ones have labored in vain."

This book wasn't included in the official canon of the church, sadly.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi