Justification of Assumptions

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #326630 by
Replied by on topic Justification of Assumptions
Ironically I shared a quote on the wall just yesterday that plays into this.

"If a misunderstanding is allowed to live long enough, it becomes the truth."

And, in my opinion, misunderstandings are the offspring of assumptions. Yes, we can only go so far with our understanding, never able to fully grasp all sides of an argument, belief system, ect. So, eventually, we will need to assume things based on what we are given.

So how do we combat these things? Ask questions. Openly, honestly, and without a hidden agenda solely for the purpose of following the Code "Ignorance, yet Knowledge" rather than jump to conclusions, assuming, creating misunderstandings, and creating a truth that is simply your own.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #326670 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Justification of Assumptions
Perhaps its how language is formed.... and if not knowing the word or label to use, the next goto is to define the apparent relationships or process at work - a action which is dependent on knowledge to be accurate, and in the absence of knowledge... it gets invented :D

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane, Kobos

More
5 years 6 months ago #326690 by Tellahane
Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful replies thus far, seems like the general idea of assuming your first assumption/judgement/insertotherrelated word here is a start, but only that, and one should make sure to still seek out the further facts, or at least assume there is always a piece of information they don't have and seek out as many of involved perspectives as possible before passing making a decision. Sometimes not all of those perspectives are available, but at least some effort before committing to a judgement, if time allows at any rate.

Does that seem about right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 6 months ago #326697 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Justification of Assumptions

Tellahane wrote: Sometimes not all of those perspectives are available, but at least some effort before committing to a judgement, if time allows at any rate.

Does that seem about right?

AFAIK is my middle name, not because 'commitment' is such a big word (which it is), but I think a genuine person is open to being wrong?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane, Kobos, Rex

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi