What do you do with lightsabers?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #326308 by
No seriously what do you do? :)

For those into Jediism, I know many have their own light sabers? Does it have important significance, perhaps spiritual significance in owning and/or creating one?

Do you collect them, make your own. When you have them, do you use them for practice for fighting? I know some are interested in martial arts, fencing ect.

If you have a lightsaber, how many do you have and what kind?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #326348 by
Replied by on topic What do you do with lightsabers?
Suprised there hasn't been any responses so far, so guess I'll start.

In regards to significance, my saber has been a heavily important part of my Jedi Path. For me it is a symbol, but more importantly it is a tool. It is one you can train with. They're heavy, as a sword is, and requires practise to use properly, and even more to use with mastery (as all things do). A lightsaber can bea reflection of the Jedi that wields it. Mine, as it stands currently, is simple and humble, as I strive to be, with a white blade (canonically a sign of a healed bleeding crystal, symbolizing the healing and change from my previous, destructive life).

I plan on having a collection, but for now I only have one, and I use it for training. I train for combat, practising cuts, blocks, ect to train my body in strength, and I train in flow to enhance my stamina and awareness of body.

And finally, I only have one. It's a simple hand and a half hilt with a simple short blade (28 inches from the emitter) with another 37 inch blade I use for combat training. I do plan on getting staff extensions for it so I can extend the hilt to naginata and saber pike lengths for varied training.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #326375 by
I just ordered my first.

I ordered one because I need more exercise, I have trouble finding exercises, and, based on the videos, spinning one looked really fun and within my physical capabilities at the moment.

It will also make the lightsaber and foam sword fights I have with my kids much more epic.

More
5 years 6 months ago #326388 by zxSnake
Arisaig basically nailed it right on the head. It is both a tool to train yourself with, and a symbol of your faith. Everything from its size and shape, to its color, it is all a part of the individual Jedi that wields that specific lightsaber.
Also, a Jedi shouldn't feel vain about getting one that makes the neat sounds from the films, even that holds a spiritual connection as being a reference to the origin of our religion. At least, for me it does.
An older Jedi named Kevin Cottam initially saw the lightsabers as being incredibly vain, especially due to their price in some cases. However, he said that he got one to carry because people were actually expecting him to have one. His lack of a lightsaber was actually disappointing to some people, and so he eventually got one and became very fond of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #326391 by
The trend seems to be in line with how I see my lightsaber. It is a symbol of my beliefs and practice as much as wearing certain articles of clothing/jewelry or hair grooming standards are to another. It is a tool for training, meditating on and with. I know those that will never travel anywhere without their bible, I always have mind on or close to me. I maintain it, clean it and while it doesn't actually emit a blade of plasma, it is strong enough to use defensibly is need be. As a Jedi it holds meaning to me as a symbol to the path I have set for myself.

When it came to choosing a color that was a bit difficult. Using the source material of the books and movies I feel that the yellow blade was the color for me. Eventually I will build my own but for now I have purchased mine.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #326397 by
I wonder do most have the standard lightsaber? Do any have double bladed ones, curved hilt ones, lightsaber pikes ect.?
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #326402 by
I myself am wondering where a good source for ordering lightsabers or lightsaber building materials are? Are there video or image tutorials on combat forms to follow?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #326406 by
This might help a little. There are some on youtube on how to construct realistic ones, single blade, double blade ect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emrSVgJ_x5I

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #326445 by

Stormcaller wrote: I myself am wondering where a good source for ordering lightsabers or lightsaber building materials are? Are there video or image tutorials on combat forms to follow?

There are many places, in the end it really comes down to how much work you wanna put into making it, your budget, and what its for.

I'd look into Saberforge and Ultrasabers for most basic sabers, as well as Pach Sabers if you want a nice budget saber to see if you're really interested in going all out in the saber game. ;p

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #326464 by
I have a side question I didn't know where else to put, but what are the meanings behind the color of lightsabers?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi