Fixing the "Customer Service" problem

More
5 years 7 months ago #325471 by Athena_Undomiel
How many people here have had an unsavory customer service experience. Regardless of how or where or when it happened, we've all (or at least most of us) have had at least one terrible interaction with a "customer service representative" right?
So, here is my idea...in the movie "A Scanner Darkly", the cops put on these suits that constantly shift and morph clothing and features of the operative inside of them. Why don't we make that a uniform? Then there is no question about Race, Gender, Orientation, Religion, etc to contest the poor service. The Rep's suit could record interactions with customers to be called into question in the event of a complaint, but the would never be a situation in which an incident was being discriminatory in some way because the suits would prevent this. It gets rid of Rep's who are not suited for the field and gives everyone an overall better experience.
Sure, the idea of individual suits may be a bit far fetched but what about monitors in front of the Rep so that the customer only sees a generic presence or a robotic image?

Any thoughts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #325529 by Alexandre Orion
I'm not quite clear on the "customer" notion. Who are the "customers" ?

"Customers/Clients" imply a reciprocity relationship. There is an exchange of goods/services for a negotiated - and hopefully equitable - value. That, unfortunately has become the model for nearly all of our relationships. Equally unfortunately, we have come to expect "customer service" from our spouses, employers and teachers -- rendering all of these relationships on the same level as competitive commercial enterprises, endeavours that go under with alarming regularity.

The TotJO (and some other institutions like it) is about fostering conviviality relationships. There is not necessarily something "owed" and the participants are not "customers/clients".

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Athena_Undomiel

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #325574 by JamesSand
I have no idea if you are talking about here at TotJO, or at my local burger joint.

Either way it is an awful idea.

and I say that, with the relative anonymity of sitting in front of a screen and you having no idea who or what I am.

*************************ERROR**************************
*************************ERROR**************************
**********************REPLACE SKIN*******************

(On the other hand, your idea removes chaos, lets take it a step further, launch the earth into the sun, and whatever atoms are left can live in relative peace with no gender, colour, or hurt feelings)

(Edit: I am actually in the business of "customer service", or at least, my customers think so. I see myself as in the business of, well nevermind, the point is, what my customers want is not necessarily what is the best thing. I am quite confident many of my customers walk away thinking they have received terrible service, which doesn't really bother me, I'm looking out for roughly 24 million people, not one sooky twat on the other side of the counter, and no, I don't have the time or inclination to sit down in a circle and explain this to every git who approaches me, because "number of people convinced I know what I am doing" is not one of my KPIs)
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Rex

More
5 years 7 months ago #325608 by Carlos.Martinez3
Honestly, I don’t think it’s a Totjo thing - I think and correct me if I’m wrong please - it’s a actual what I see in the world type of thing?
I’ve noticed in America we are quick to hire but not as quick to fire. You have great services and products and lousy customer service. Interesting though ... if there were some way to remove and only bring to light the actions and quality of the customer service industry - a lot of individuals would not be able to use - excuses.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...
More
5 years 7 months ago #325614 by Neaj Pa Bol
Customer Service is really a double edged sword... Growing up in the 1980's when Customer Service became "The Customer is always right", snowballed into hell where everyone thinks they are right even when they are blatantly wrong... But, Customer service is product based sales service related. I don't see where a Customer Service Department is needed, let alone a useless department when we are a Church.

Don't recall any Churches ever having one...

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Participated in the making of the book, “The Jedi Compass”with 2 articles.

For today I serve so that tomorrow I may serve again. One step, One Vow, One Moment... Too always remember it is not about me... Master Neaj Pa Bol

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...

Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip...

Quiet your emotions to find inner peace. Learn from ignorance to foster knowledge.
Enjoy your passions but be immersed in serenity. Understand the chaos to see the harmony.
Life and death is to be one with the Force.

Apprentice's: Master Zanthan Storm, Jaxxy (Master Rachat et Espoir (Bridgette Barker))

More
5 years 7 months ago #325641 by Athena_Undomiel
For the record, I am talking about customer service in the real world. Not trying to apply it to the TOTJO in any way, just trying to make conversation. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 7 months ago #325649 by thomaswfaulkner
I think it's a great topic to bring up because most of what we study here is translated and transcribed into the doings we impart in the real world. From my experience, a large part of unsavory customer service stems from that "object notion" we assign to others when interacting with them. Rather than acknowledging their personhood, we use people in customer service roles as objects to get what we want. If the line is long at the convenience store and I can't buy my drink in a timely manner then it must be this csr's fault because they're not meeting my expectations of when I want my things. Now the same can be true for the opposite end. I've seen quite a few counselors and some case workers who have been experiencing compassion fatigue and burn out detach from there professional relationship with the clients and see them as nothing more than means to a paycheck.

I'm a strong advocate for acknowledging the essence of people I interact with. Sure, it can be emotionally draining at times, but it's my responsibility to know my boundaries and know when to reach out to others for help. My personal lack of self-care should not compromise how I treat others in personal or professional settings.

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #325650 by Adder
For example, from the other angle and the other side. Once I had a lot of money in a bank account (briefly, during a transaction in the old days when I worked in real estate) and the teller, on first noticing this, did that morphing thing.... from the usual disinterested zombie on autopilot, to a moment of turning to stone, and then morphed into a very attentive almost french maid!

It was not an ego stroke in the slightest, because a. the money wasn't staying in my account, and b. I don't want everyone in the place to think I've a zillion bucks. In fact I would consider it slightly unprofessional not to be treated equally - despite getting 'better'' service by normal standards. Assumptions are unreliable, but we all do them constantly as normal awareness, seemingly, and so sometimes its not even deliberate.

And that is the difficult bit, as living beings, we relate to our environment in 'being'... but that is why we get 'paid' to work, because its about doing something specific for some reason - compared to a hobby which might better be an example of ourselves, for example. If you can get a job which merges both then it makes things more interesting, but most of us do not get that chance and so instead have to find a balance between being ourselves and representing our employer.

As I think we have come to define professionalism as customer service! Which might be putting the cart before the donkey. Consider that service providers might not be there to make us feel good - which is how we naturally might assess the experience of it. Rather IMO they are to provide equal and efficient service - and it is that which should make us feel good because it is less stress on us, and more free time to us. You can see why I'm such a bore with opinions like this, as even superficial manners are too open to misinterpretation to ensure much reliable professional practice of personage in the workplace. But they are better then nothing and generally expected in normal business.

For it is easy to view transactions as being part of our 'worth narrative', but I think it's better viewed in terms of energy management ie don't let others define your worth so easily. If they do the wrong thing, politely complain and go elsewhere, if possible. As it's not in your 'energy interests' of time and stress and trust to go there again!!!! I wouldn't use my language here to describe it to them though :silly:

So there is that, going to a different provider and making a polite complaint explaining why to management. Unprofessional behaviour can manifest for various reasons, and in my experience, that is the only thing to make a difference. To that end, it is always good form to ask a providers name (and remember it, write it down later) as part of a transaction. It on one hand is a subtle way to let em know you have the power to hold them to account, and also can appear as if your a polite person. Even if its not their real name, it might be a prescribed name which still could serve to id the rep to the manager. But not everyone responds in like to manners, though at some level it might wake them up a little bit from the mundane zombie drone. It also enables a positive provider interaction to be thanked up to management, something which people do not do enough of I imagine. This is actually where gender, sex, race information can be a positive thing, in tracking service quality - because it specifically includes the attributes which are at risk of causing unprofessional service. Information which is otherwise probably not relevant, so inclusion of such information probably should be limited to robust anti-discrimination systems. But now I've gone off topic!!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Athena_Undomiel, thomaswfaulkner

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi