Jedi up

More
5 years 10 months ago #323211 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Jedi up
An interesting question.

I have been on a long term (2+) year hiatus, interrupted only by an occasional check in for messages and a few interesting threads to follow via email subscription.

In that time, I have more or less lived as a reclusive force monastic, keeping public interaction minimal aside from employment necessary to pay for odds and ends.

I feel that the doctrine of the order is written very clearly, and doesn't leave much room for interpretation.

Not everyone agrees.

Hence, the historical nature of discord here at the temple. A small group even feel, in lesser words, that there should be no rules at the temple whatsoever and it should be more or less a Tumblr/Reddit flame fest.

At the end of the day, I feel that we as Jedi either choose to allow ourselves to be consumed by emotion, passion, ignorance, and anger; Or we instead choose to forgo emotional attachment and choose a path of logical & methodical examination of arguments and events presented to us.

Essentially, to "Jedi up" is more or less honoring the vows (most) of us took when we signed up at the temple.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Tellahane, Athena_Undomiel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323212 by
Replied by on topic Jedi up
I feel like we have gone off topic since my last post in here XD haha Ah well...

The problem with the way Path B is described, it leaves a feeling as if they are expecting to follow in other peoples footsteps without any growth - what with the wordage and such.

Thing is.

EVERYTHING in life from learning your ABC's to training for a job position - You are following the examples and set foundations of someone before you. It is AFTER understanding those concepts that you self explore and reach above and beyond.

Jediism I feel is no different. Heck. Even this very temple requires you to do things their way before you can truly be yourself. Im stuck at Apprentice Rank because I disagree with a couple of standards even though I feel it is both unfair and restrictive to the path A ideals commonly chanted around here. ((Please note I am embellishing a touch to frame a point))

It is unrealistic to just assume you are something without ever jumping a couple of stepping stones. I don't feel that is a "Inbetween" sort of Idea but rather its very own Path C - Where one discovers the path, learns the path, serves time on the path, and branches above it to self discovery.

More
5 years 10 months ago #323220 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Jedi up

Trisskar wrote: Path C - Where one discovers the path, learns the path, serves time on the path, and branches above it to self discovery.

To throw a different perspective on it you can say this is the path for someone who has never believed in any religion sitting at a religion 101 class.

I agree it's still kinda broken up between "The Path" and "A Path", and lots of confusion as to which is which and what label to put on it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323250 by

Trisskar wrote:

Streen wrote: Jedi up... cowboy up... man up. It's all rather demeaning. As if to say, who you are isn't good enough.

Which begs to question. When said statement was given, were you behaving in your best? Were you shining your brightest when said person told you to Jedi Up? Were you? Or are you just salty that they called you out on your darker dealings and now your forced into a spotlight of owning up to it and improving your methods or covering it up with excuses?

When you start to become who you truly are, the first thing you realize is that there is nothing to fear.

I am who I am. If people don't like it, that's not my problem.

Which begs the question: What are you?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323271 by

Streen wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

Streen wrote: Jedi up... cowboy up... man up. It's all rather demeaning. As if to say, who you are isn't good enough.

Which begs to question. When said statement was given, were you behaving in your best? Were you shining your brightest when said person told you to Jedi Up? Were you? Or are you just salty that they called you out on your darker dealings and now your forced into a spotlight of owning up to it and improving your methods or covering it up with excuses?

When you start to become who you truly are, the first thing you realize is that there is nothing to fear.

I am who I am. If people don't like it, that's not my problem.

Which begs the question: What are you?

So you can be a complete Douche Bag and Troll your way throughout the community and get away with it because it is "Who you are" and therefor "Not your problem."

Fancy sage like "be who you are" only goes so far. Once you start disrupting the peace it is very much is something a Jedi should find problem with and seek to change/fix. Otherwise we will end up like several nameless individuals who very much need to "Jedi Up" Which is the point of the phrase. When being who you are is unbecoming of the keystones you claim to hold.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago #323317 by
Whoa, language. What exactly did I do to make you so angry?

The extent of my "trolling" has only been to challenge the status quo. Upset the system. To use a cliché, think outside the box.

I think some people think I'm a bully, or a jerk. Maybe I am, but I've been bullied, jerked around in my life, so I know how the real bullying feels. If that's what I've become, then I apologize. But I don't think I have gotten that bad.

To clarify, though, I don't consider myself a Jedi anymore, so I can't "Jedi up". As I mentioned in other posts, I relate more to characters like Chirrut Îmwe, monks that, as Lao Tzu said, "do little but leave nothing undone."

Trust me, I know I'm not perfect, and have made a lot of mistakes. I've paid for them dearly. Even though I don't consider myself a Christian exactly, there are verses I remember well. One may apply here:

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

—Matthew 7:3

also

"Let him who is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone"

—John 8:7

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #323320 by

Streen wrote: Whoa, language. What exactly did I do to make you so angry?

What are you talking about? 0_o I am discussing ideas and subjects with you.....not angry and I said nothing untowards. So what do you mean "Language?" --- >Troll? Seriously? 0_o

The extent of my "trolling" has only been to challenge the status quo. Upset the system. To use a cliché, think outside the box.

Umm....I never said YOU were trolling? It was an EXAMPLE....you know....to drive a point behind my statments. Perhaps you should step back a second, take a deep breathe and re-read with some rose-y glasses on? ;) lol You know...."Don't assume the worst."

I think some people think I'm a bully, or a jerk. Maybe I am, but I've been bullied, jerked around in my life, so I know how the real bullying feels. If that's what I've become, then I apologize. But I don't think I have gotten that bad.

Again....read up. Step back. Re-adjust perspective a bit.

To clarify, though, I don't consider myself a Jedi anymore, so I can't "Jedi up".

Then it dosn't apply to you. No sweat. *Shrugs*

As for the rest......fancy? Sorry...not sure how it applies.

Anyways.

My point is simply that no one is perfect and we are all capable of getting caught in the moment, letting emotions guide our actions, and overplaying our hands. It is in these moments that reminders to "Jedi Up" are appropriate. A reminder to step back and re-organize
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by .

More
5 years 9 months ago #323321 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Jedi up
re organize - good stuff - thanks for your ideas “Triss “. Seems we all know intention and definitions of the phrase can make the way it’s taken or said. One of those- encouragement / offensive type of tools , as I see it so far.! Good stuff again !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago #323392 by
LOL :laugh:

I'm sorry Tris, I thought you were referring to me. In which case I can safely say I agree with you. Being who you are is great, but that doesn't excuse one from being an a**hole.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago #323394 by

Streen wrote: LOL :laugh:

I'm sorry Tris, I thought you were referring to me. In which case I can safely say I agree with you. Being who you are is great, but that doesn't excuse one from being an a**hole.

Truth XD

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi