Jedi up

More
5 years 9 months ago #322932 by Carlos.Martinez3
Jedi up was created by Carlos.Martinez3
I’ve hear this (read) phrase several times .
What does “ Jedi up “mean to you ?
I know I use it very difrently than posted and intended . Even the word “savy” . I use savy as like a -replacemt for - the phrase ya know ? I’ve heard some get offended at the use and even Jedi up.
So I ask the General population - how do you use it - what do you mean by Jedi up?
Just wondering Temple !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #322933 by Nakis
Replied by Nakis on topic Jedi up
I'm unfond of it as it's a non-informative way to indicate the other person does not meet the speaker's perception as to what a Jedi is.

I understand the intent, similar to man up, but that phrase also encourages toxic masculinity in that you have to be strong all the time and to disregard your feelings or thoughts on a matter to make the speaker think you are a man.

TL;DR: If you have time to say "jedi up" you also have the time to type out ways someone could improve their perception or attitude without the proverbial like/dislike button.

Licensed Clergy Person
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 9 months ago #322934 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Jedi up
I'm with Nakis.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nakis

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago #322936 by
Replied by on topic Jedi up

Nakis wrote: TL;DR: If you have time to say "jedi up" you also have the time to type out ways someone could improve their perception or attitude without the proverbial like/dislike button.

I've always made the assumption that a person should know what it means to them, like when someone says "Grow up/act your age/ext". Its essentially a reminder of what you are and what you could/should be. Solid advice can be given to those that have yet to get there to begin with, but for those that have been there before, it is a call to return to such a place. It becomes a wake up call. ;P

More
5 years 9 months ago #322937 by Rosalyn J

Arisaig wrote:

Nakis wrote: TL;DR: If you have time to say "jedi up" you also have the time to type out ways someone could improve their perception or attitude without the proverbial like/dislike button.

I've always made the assumption that a person should know what it means to them, like when someone says "Grow up/act your age/ext". Its essentially a reminder of what you are and what you could/should be. Solid advice can be given to those that have yet to get there to begin with, but for those that have been there before, it is a call to return to such a place. It becomes a wake up call. ;P

Historically, one has to wonder how helpful those "wake up" calls are.
Rather than go with "they as helpful as the person makes them/lets them be". Can we answer a bit differently

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 9 months ago #322938 by Athena_Undomiel
Replied by Athena_Undomiel on topic Jedi up
Just wondering if that is any different than a man calling a boy "sissy" or telling him to "not act like such a girl"....seems to me that using Jediism in that manner makes it toxic.

Is there such a thing as toxic jediism??
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #322939 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Jedi up
.... wow ....
that’s a can of worms there ...
I tend to use - return - the word “return “ implies nothing on subject but soley - to the individuals choice how and where - strictly to them. Is Jedi up a good term or can it be used as a good term?
I see Ari-s idea of return to your idea—- but I can also see how it can be taken the wrong way so easily . Any alternatives ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Athena_Undomiel

More
5 years 9 months ago #322941 by Rosalyn J

Athena_Undomiel wrote: Just wondering if that is any different than a man calling a boy "sissy" or telling him to "not act like such a girl"....seems to me that using Jediism in that manner makes it toxic.

Is there such a thing as toxic jediism??

There could be.

Consider not only what the receiver takes it to mean, but also the intent

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Athena_Undomiel

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #322944 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jedi up
Something motivational can often be used to critique. I reckon the difference between the two is part the nature of the relationship between the two people, and the intent of the person saying it.
So yea, the intent is my concern.... because its one of those things which can work when used properly but most easily is not used properly. Such that some see it being used in an acceptable way (to those involved) that it can translate across to misuse easily in different circumstances.
To me it always sounded like 'shields up', such that it was part of the retinue of tools to assist in 'focus' on ones path - but that was in the parlance of it being used in a joint environment where the understandings existed to the extent of what was expected among what was happening and what was really happening among the people using it. I think the term 'trusted' relationship is too strong, but some hybrid of close relationship and working relationship, where purpose and awareness of those invovled enables a freedom to express more energetic language without it being misintepreted. But in comparison, used in the wild without that relationship - the intent becomes unclear, and therefore can fairly expected to be taken out of the intended meaning. So it probably falls aside under that 'practice empathy and perspective taking' as an offhand remark IMO.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Carlos.Martinez3, Athena_Undomiel

More
5 years 9 months ago #322947 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Jedi up
I think if you're someone who likes the more straightforward and simple image and idea of being a jedi with many of the predictable traits that would commonly entail (like using the doctrine at your every opportunity, posting pics of yourself in robes swinging a lightsaber, and telling the community vigorously about how amazing you are at meditation and pumping iron this week and waving your warrior label to make sure everyone knows it), then the term "Jedi up" likely would be in one's accepted nomenclature.

But I think there are many in the community who don't feel that way about being a Jedi, so while, for instance, I understand it's intention to be... motivational... it tends to come off as a shallow phrase meant to dictate to someone that they should be how you think they should be (as if the dictator really knew).

This is one of many other nuances that have come out of the more radical crowd of the general community over the past several years, a product of "Jedi Pride". It can be good for those who adopt it for themselves and use it on themselves, but I'm lead to believe that most don't understand this, that when we wave our "Jedi path" in others' faces, we've kind of damaged the integrity of it.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Athena_Undomiel

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi

Notice: SessionHandler::gc(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/libraries/vendor/joomla/session/src/Storage/NativeStorage.php on line 135