What do you think?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #312711 by
Replied by on topic Dueling saber concept art
Right on! I love to hear that people are planning on building their own custom sabers.

So, I'm noticing some varying colors in here. What looks like brass emitters, copper switch section, blued steel body/hand grip, then brass bushings, and stainless or aluminum pommel.

Most of it looks completely doable if you've got the right machines:
Chop saw, hacksaw, or pipe cutter for cutting down your materials (depending on its desired thickness)
Metal lathe and range dial guages for the body/handgrips
Milling machine or drill press for the switch sections
Milling machine, grinder, files, and possibly a dremel for your very intricate emitters

One of my concerns however, are those intricate emitters. Something like that would definitely take a lot of time an patience. But if you've got the tools, time, and dedication, it can be done.
Don't let me deviate your plans. it's just a suggestion.

Anyway, another concern is the the verity of metals you'll be using. If you plan on welding any of it, you'll have to be careful about what metals you're trying to bond. It can get pretty tricky trying to get non-relatable metals together. However, you could always use JB Weld or an Epoxy to glue your pieces together. Another idea involves threading certain parts so your saber can be taken apart, that's what I do for most of the external pieces of mine, like the emitter, body, and pommel.
Learning how to thread piping, both internally and externally takes quite a bit or practice though. Unless you've got someone to show you how to do it, I would practice a few times on pieces you won't use before attempting it on your actual saber parts.

If you have any questions PM me.

I'm a weapon fanatic and my dad is an engineer, machinist, and gun smith (Baldwin Arms is the name of his company), and the rest of my family are mostly machinists, engineers, and mechanics too, so I can always ask them for suggestions if I don't have an answer.

Next question involves electronics and your blade, whether you want to order them or build them yourself.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #312713 by
As far as the electronics and blade are concerned, you can go as pre-made or Do It Yourself (DIY) as you want.

By that I mean, you can buy the same materials that most professional saber companies use and build it yourself. If you want a complete list of the materials you'll need I can get that information together and send it to you. It would be cheaper, but would require some searching on your part.

What I do, because it's way easier and doesn't cost much more than buying everything from an electronics or hardware store,
is buy my electronics and blades from Saberforge.

If you haven't been to the Saberforge's website, I strongly recommend checking it out. You may end up deciding to custom build a saber from them, having them put in all the parts you want, and having them basically ship your dream saber already put together and guaranteed to function beautifully.

However, in light of custom building, which really puts your soul into your weapon, I would suggest either buying the Plug and Play parts (more expensive but way easier, especially if you don't have any experience with electronics or soldering), or the DIY parts (every piece is separate and doesn't include wires, so you'll have to buy wires separately and solder everything yourself. It's a pain, but you have more customization options that way and you have more of your soul put into it)

Also, if you do it this way, you'll either have to thread your blade so you can take it in and out, or you'll have to glue it in place. Another option is using small bolts to hold it in place, that's what Saberforge will do if you buy one of theirs, but I haven't tried it personoally.

If you haven't done wiring or soldering and you plan on doing the DIY setup, make sure to do lots and lots or research. There are a lot of things that can go wrong if you don't know what you're doing.

PM me if you have any questions. I'm always down to answer questions on weapon building.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312754 by
Yeah I guess I should have explained my materials. So I figured I go with a standard aircraft aluminum core body with black leather around the upper shaft and woodgrain on the lower. Brass and bronze fittings and outer bracket.

I don't know anything about blade construction or electronics so any insight would be greatly appreciated. I've never owned anything more than an $8 Walmart Skywalker special which I tore apart to learn the secrets, so as far as building a saber I'm completely new. I do know my way around machinery so that's not the hard part for me. Keeping it cool and functional is where I need the most help.

Anything would really be helpful here though, so I'd appreciate your help humbly. I figure once I actually get started it should take a month or so to get the main work done.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312765 by
For the wood grain are you planning veneer with a protective coating?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312783 by

JLSpinner wrote: For the wood grain are you planning veneer with a protective coating?

Yeah most likely

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312789 by
I'd recommend a softer wood, like pine. It'll have more give and will be less likely to crack.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #313015 by
I was actually thinking cedar do you think pine would be better?

What about the grip, a hard leather, a felt or something else?

Are bronze and brass contrasting enough to make it draw attention? Or should I use a more silver tone metal with a red metal?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #313034 by
I'm liking the sharp tips !!!

I personally think in terms of making a realistic lightsaber there have always been two theories in my head.
1) the flame thrower model that has already been made and can be seen in a popular youtube video

2) A thing that looks like a regular stunt saber from ultra-sabers or saber forge, but the blade is much more secure in the hilt via a deeper screw like attachment and the blade heats up like a sauntering iron and basically a burning long club. this of course would also be rechargeable.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #313035 by
Cedar should definitely be soft enough. As for the grip, I would use leather over felt, that's personal preference though. Bronze and brass might not contrast at all depending on the shade/tint or hue. If you need some strong contrast I would look into a change of color or make sure the components you get "pop" enough.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi