M2 Disc 1:A Man Is Dead...

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #324304 by Rosalyn J
Sandel Says
"Suppose a man has been missing for many years, and you have just learned that he is dead. Should you tell the man’s father, even if it will crush his hopes and send him into despair? Does utilitarianism have the right answer?"

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #324310 by Jhannuzs Ian
Who is Sandel and what response received?

I have an opinion but I'm thinking that maybe you only shared a quote

:)

♪ ♫ ♪
Jedi Master: Rosalyn J
Focus, discipline, integriteit, kennis en licht
My code:
The Force is all, I choose my Focus
Life includes suffering, I am Resilient
The Force include my imagination, I extract Wisdom and Harmony
Life includes adversity, I obtain Knowledge
I respect your Life, lets revitalize our Force while breathing

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 7 months ago #324587 by
Replied by on topic M2 Disc 1:A Man Is Dead...
When I consider missing persons cases, there seems to be this prevalent idea that, when they are found(usually deceased) that telling the family brings them some sort of peace.

In my own mind, I suppose this is because of the innate fear of the unknown that people tend to hold. When their person is missing, that fear takes over and fills their mind with all sorts of terrible scenarios. The unknown casts their person into a state of constant and perpetual suffering, and them with it. While they don't want their person to be dead, while what they truly want is for them back, death as a conclusion seems preferable than an endless unknown. I'm not saying it'll bring immediate peace, but most people hold a religion and most religions present death and subsequent afterlife as a good thing. A peaceful thing. "They're in a better place now" is a common mantra.

And so yes, I believe the father should be told. Gently, and when surrounded by the support they'll need to get them through the rough spot.

More
5 years 7 months ago #324591 by Carlos.Martinez3
In this case , I would have to notify the authorities. Since I have no idea who he is or the guys name , I wouldn’t know the family either. I don’t normally go around looking for extra drama myself. If help is needed - I would gladly point the family to their local church or sect or organized home of worship or practice.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
5 years 7 months ago #324621 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic M2 Disc 1:A Man Is Dead...
I would say it is better that the father know of the death. Knowing no matter how in the moment will crush hope and bring dispair will also allow a grieving period. A chance to heal, accept and move on.
Living in hope is also living with fear, unknown and never healing fully or moving forward.
Cruel it might seem to take away hope, I think in the long run it would be worse to allow false hope.
The father can be supported through the proccess of saying goodbye.

Everything is belief

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 7 months ago #324633 by
Replied by on topic M2 Disc 1:A Man Is Dead...

Rosalyn J wrote: Sandel Says
"Suppose a man has been missing for many years, and you have just learned that he is dead. Should you tell the man’s father, even if it will crush his hopes and send him into despair? Does utilitarianism have the right answer?"

First off, lets look into what Utilitarianism is. Wikipedia defines it as "Utilitarianism is an ethical theory that states that the best action is the one that maximises utility. "Utility" is defined in various ways, usually in terms of the well-being of sentient entities."

So, taking that into account, should I tell the father? I would think yes, absolutely. Could it send him into despair? Yes. But a father waiting to hear about the fate of his son for years is already in despair. To never hear anything would crush him every single day.

So, in the immediate aftermath, it would cripple this man, hurt him deeply. But, overall, he can begin the healing process, closing that chapter of his life, and move on better for it without the unconscious burden of worry that waiting to hear about his son was putting on him.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi