M1: Disc. Is it always permissible to harm a smaller number of people...?

More
5 years 9 months ago #322735 by Rosalyn J
Sandel asks:
"There are times when the only way to prevent harm to a large number of people is to harm a smaller number of people. Is it always permissible to harm a smaller number in order to prevent harm to a large number?"

Let's explore this:

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #323334 by MadHatter
No, it is not. There are many factors to consider in such situations such as:

Are you involved in the situation and what knowledge of its various factors do you have if you are?

Are you injecting yourself into a situation?

Are you willingly causing harm when you could do none whereas being already involved you will cause harm one way or another no matter what?

Are you trying to prevent evil by committing evil in the process?

What is the outcome of any precedent you might set by your actions?

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 7 months ago #324590 by
This feels like the Kobayashi Maru. In disguise.
Inaction harms the KM crew and passengers. Action harms KM crew and passengers, the cadets crew and passengers, and starts a war with the Klingons(more losses). It is a no win scenario. A rat maze to see how people respond when presented with a scenario in which there will never be a chance to come out on top.

I know what the "right" response is. It lies down a path of fantasy and self-aggrandizement wherein I manage to save the crew and outsmart the Klingons. It lies in the realm of unreality.

In reality, with a guarantee at the outcome, I would choose to harm the smaller number. I would choose to let the KM perish. It's still not a "win" and it's not right, but in a scenario with no wins it is the lesser of two losses.

More
5 years 7 months ago #324593 by Carlos.Martinez3

Rosalyn J wrote: Sandel asks:
"There are times when the only way to prevent harm to a large number of people is to harm a smaller number of people. Is it always permissible to harm a smaller number in order to prevent harm to a large number?"

Let's explore this:

Without spacifics - that would be a difficult question to answer. Harm can always be diverted almost always. It may take some study and a lot of experience but totally possible. There are so many times it seems like there are only two options but if you think - we can create much much more.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi