Next Saturday Hangout July 11, 2020 17hrs GMT to 19hrs GMT in Discord (11 Jul 2020)

Our next hangout will be June 11, 2020 17hrs GMT to 19hrs GMT in Discord

The link is here: discord.com/invite/nhZvH6T

Outer Rim

More
31 May 2020 22:21 - 14 Jun 2020 17:28 #352389 by Rosalyn J
Outer Rim was created by Rosalyn J
Guidelines
To Gain Access to the Outer Rim Please Read and Accept the Following

The Temple of the Jedi Order believes "In the positive influence of spiritual growth and awareness on society" (see Doctrine). As a result, we create spaces that accommodate for all  persons regardless of where they are in their journey. 

We understand that for some people Jediism represents the ability to speak and debate freely, for those people, this space has been created.

It operates under the following guidelines:

1. The topics discussed in this space may be offensive to some viewers.  In those cases, we rely on community correction rather than moderation.  Please handle differences through communication.

2.  Please do not use this space for illegal, immoral, obscene or irrelevant activity. Those (and only those) activities may be reported to moderators.

3. Leave if you need to. If you find that you cannot engage in a discussion constructively, excuse yourself, take a break, and come back.

4. You may withdraw your access to this forum at any time. Please speak to a moderator to have your  access removed.

Outer Rim Includes the Following Areas
Open Discussions
Humor
Miscellaneous
World Events
Health, Physical Fitness and Wellbeing
Philosophy
Science

Access to this space is granted by default
Last edit: 14 Jun 2020 17:28 by Rosalyn J.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2020 23:00 #352392 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Outer Rim
How, if at all, does this new "Outer Rim" sub-forum differ from an online flame hall? Are the temple guidelines of debating ideas, not people still in effect within this sub-forums discussion?

Remember the doctrine; embody the code.
Live the creed; embrace the 16 teachings.
Honor your vows.

More
31 May 2020 23:39 #352393 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Outer Rim
The TOS is in effect all over the site regardless of the section. It is not the hope to give license to "flame halls", but to reduce destraction
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre

More
04 Jun 2020 07:09 #352504 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Outer Rim
Okay, a few more questions:

What about implementing this segregation improves either internal cohesion of the Temple, or serves to attract new users?

For one, there is an intuitive (even if incorrect) interpretation that (a) the Intersectional subforum is a heavily curated "safe space" where it is not safe to speak one's mind freely but where critical discourse and thereby interesting or helpful discourse is discouraged, and that (b) the Outer Rim might as well be what one'd call a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" not entirely unlike a slightly sanitized and non-anonymous version of 4chan. Where it used to be that all discussions were open to everybody, now the appearance of one's name in these sections automatically brands the user as a member of one or both of these newly created "tribes". What is being prepared to soften possible tensions that may or may not grow as a result of this?

Secondly, where it used to be that topics on matters of faith and identity, matters of politics and philosophy and science, as well as Jediist religious instructions were directly visible to everybody who visits the site, and one short registration form away from being open for participation, thus attracting interested visitors to engage with said registration, now they are all but non-existent to someone who doesn't for some reason suspect that there is more to this place than a meditation dojo and goes out to find what else there is. Not only does a visitor interested in current events or worried about the interface between the religion and their identity not see anything about either on the forums before they register, but even after signing up to participate in the forums in the almost entirely unfounded hopes of finding what they were looking for, they'd need to find out that there was access they could request, choose to request it, and wait until they were granted it, before finally having a justification to be a registered user (at least one rooted in their interest in these discussions) in the first place. Is there data quantifying what fraction of users joins TOTJO for what reason? If yes, am I voicing a valid/relevant concern? If yes, what is being done to compensate?

Finally, to end on a more positive note, now that I have spoken about what negative impact these new developments may bring, I shall ask a question that will perhaps give opportunity for optimism: What actual problems are being addressed by this change and how will it help to resolve them? Or, to make it sound even more positive: What are the benefits of this re-structuring?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Edan, OB1Shinobi, TheDude, Rex, forceuser

More
05 Jun 2020 02:33 #352527 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Outer Rim
What is it about the outer rim contents which makes it especially worthy of specific rules and separate status? Any of the topics covered in the outer rim may very well fit in with the Member Discussions forum which is not included in the outer rim despite not being directly related to Jediism proper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
07 Jun 2020 09:54 #352570 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Outer Rim
I'm not sure of the benefits of the Outer Rim being separate?

If we're not including, Humor, World Events, Health, Physical Fitness and Wellbeing, Philosophy and Science as key areas relevant to the practical application of Jediism as a religion and a way of life, I'm not entirely sure what is left.

As it stands, a number of those subfora already languish barely used, hiding them further seems to ask why have them at all?

Not my sandpit, and I'm not privy to the end goal here, for all I know the church fully intends to be a more specific and theological environment....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron, Edan, Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi

More
07 Jun 2020 14:24 #352573 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Outer Rim
For those who had outer rim questions - have y’all had time to have access to the area and if so has any of your questions been answered?

Contact The Clergy
Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Block
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
07 Jun 2020 22:06 - 07 Jun 2020 22:08 #352587 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Outer Rim

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: For those who had outer rim questions - have y’all had time to have access to the area and if so has any of your questions been answered?

New question: What's the reason to not answer any of the questions so far posed right here, where everybody can see it, rather than only whoever said pretty please first (assuming that they even are addressed inside the respective tribelands, mind)? Do they not concern the entire Temple?

Last edit: 07 Jun 2020 22:08 by Gisteron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre, OB1Shinobi

More
08 Jun 2020 00:24 #352592 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Outer Rim
Truthfully , I don’t know much about the new changes and I’m learning as well. I have few answers about the changes - I’m learning them as we go along as well.

I wanna learn as well.

That’s all

Contact The Clergy
Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Block
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
08 Jun 2020 03:09 #352595 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Outer Rim

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Truthfully , I don’t know much about the new changes and I’m learning as well. I have few answers about the changes - I’m learning them as we go along as well.

I wanna learn as well.

That’s all

This is very interesting to me, being that your combined positions of Knight, Councillor, and Sr. Ordained clergy would otherwise signify better communication regarding their implementation?

Remember the doctrine; embody the code.
Live the creed; embrace the 16 teachings.
Honor your vows.

Moderators: Edan