Have we become too generalized or too specific?

More
05 Feb 2019 17:19 #333704 by Kyrin Wyldstar

Arisaig wrote: If it was simply about spirituality, I would agree, Kyrin. But it isn't. A member can become a councillor. And those that can lead, must be known.

Oathing to uphold the ways of the Jedi does not make one eligible for council positions, it only makes one openly committed to upholding a spiritual paradigm. Council, if they require it here because they are appointed positions and not elected positions, should have their own legally binding oath for that specific duty.

This guns for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark.
My Journals: Kyrin-Wyldstar

Associate Degree of Divinity - Earned July, 2017
Apprenticed to: Alan, Senan, Mendalicious
Tribute to Senan: My Friend
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2019 17:23 #333706 by Carlos.Martinez3

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote: If it was simply about spirituality, I would agree, Kyrin. But it isn't. A member can become a councillor. And those that can lead, must be known.

Oathing to uphold the ways of the Jedi does not make one eligible for council positions, it only makes one openly committed to upholding a spiritual
paradigm. Council, if they require it here because they are appointed positions and not elected positions, should have their own legally binding oath for that specific duty.

We do

Contact The Clergy
Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Block
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Kyrin Wyldstar

• Arisaig
05 Feb 2019 17:30 #333708 by Arisaig

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Oathing to uphold the ways of the Jedi does not make one eligible for council positions, it only makes one openly committed to upholding a spiritual
paradigm. Council, if they require it here because they are appointed positions and not elected positions, should have their own legally binding oath for that specific duty.

We do

Then such oaths should be made public. Because I can't find any.

More
05 Feb 2019 17:32 #333709 by Carlos.Martinez3
Currently not public

Contact The Clergy
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Block
Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Arisaig

More
05 Feb 2019 17:39 #333710 by Kyrin Wyldstar

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Currently not public

And I see no reason why they should be. Its a matter of trust of council once again to do the right thing. If you don't trust the council you don't trust the individual oath so what difference would it make whether its public or private at that point, right?

This guns for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark.
My Journals: Kyrin-Wyldstar

Associate Degree of Divinity - Earned July, 2017
Apprenticed to: Alan, Senan, Mendalicious
Tribute to Senan: My Friend
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Brick, Arisaig

• Arisaig
05 Feb 2019 17:45 #333712 by Arisaig

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

And I see no reason why they should be. Its a matter of trust of council once again to do the right thing. If you don't trust the council you don't trust the individual oath so what difference would it make whether its public or private at that point, right?

I agree. At least, if somewhere it is on record their name, I can live with that.

But still... I don't agree with usernames being on oaths. Just seems two dimensional, flat, and unauthentic.

But if someone wants to do that, by all means...

More
05 Feb 2019 17:48 #333713 by Carlos.Martinez3

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Wonderful opinion - feel free to contact the council if you like about that.
Currently- it’s acsess - acsess to Council chambers is accessible to council members. Knights to the knight forum so on and so forth - we could probly move things around with no harm or mess up but as it stands it’s just acsess not conspiracies- promise.

Contact The Clergy
The Block
Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Arisaig

More
05 Feb 2019 18:00 #333715 by Adhara
The oath councillors and any other officers take is the oath of office.
"I, [insert legal name], do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of [insert title of office], honor my responsibilities, and will, to the best of my ability and with the greatest commitment, serve the Temple of the Jedi Order and its interests."

They are usually archived in the council forum. I'd not object to anyone posting their oath of office in their journal for example. It is not required but it is not forbidden either.

Jedi Knight of TOTJO, A.Div

Master: Senior Knight RyuJin
Apprentice: Trose, BeBe

'Impossible' is a word that humans use far too often. -Seven of Nine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Arisaig

More
05 Feb 2019 23:00 #333743 by Kobos
So, I have been thinking a lot on this name thingy here. All of you that know me via face book or just read my journal realize I use my real name. I did this understanding the danger and in reality having enough trust in the community to not destroy my name. Granted, identity theft on me might net you a whole um $120.00 right now. not everyone can play it off like me, or have that level of trust in strangers, that's fine I have always been a little to naive for my own good.

Your name really in the end only comes down to the image you portray to yourself by using your own name or hearing it.

I can tell you Kobos has died a million times over through my path here. But, I am still Kobos, Mr. Kobos or "that guy" (which I am quite fond of actually).

The thing I really want to draw to a perspective here though is this. You are the Love you give. Sometimes the specific way we give love doesn't fit every person. A while back we were discussing a topic for the Jedi's Toolbelt. Well, I have in some fashion realized the more ways of showing love I have in the tool belt the better the quality of love I give/receive and more my name means.

Sometimes we need to look at our tool belt, have we exhausted every tool in there? Do we need to find some new ones?

Why does Kobos ask so many abstract literary questions?

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

Fighting what you cannot see, will only lead you to lash out with violence towards everyone. Know your enemy, and you may find yourself a friend.

You can act real rude and totally removed
And I can act like an imbecile- Men without hats

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Omhu Cuspor, Carlos.Martinez3, Arisaig

More
06 Feb 2019 09:21 - 06 Feb 2019 09:21 #333779 by Loudzoo
Whilst the 'name' and 'oath' discussions are perfectly reasonable ones to have I think we have drifted a little from the OP. I'd be fine with people using Usernames for an Oath, if they were not comfortable using their 'real' names. The oath is a commitment to certain behaviours at the this website and the Username is the best way of identifying people whilst there are online here.

I posted the following in Kobos' "What do YOU see?" thread but its relevant here too:

In all religious / spiritual / philosophical schools that I can think of there is always a well defined difference between the Forum (the talking shop), the Offices (for admin and management), and the Temple (the place for contemplation). Whilst we have different sections of the Forum and different rules for different threads (like no posting in others' journals) it is all a bit mashed together. If we could provide some more separation between these three functions than this website currently provides I think that would be really helpful.

Practically that means we might have one 'tab' for the Forum - which would be more open, a little more combative where necessary and which would be open to all registered users. This could even go offsite to Discord - but that might be a step too far. Next there could be an 'Offices' tab for administration - with the same restrictions on access as currently exist. Then there could be a 'tab' for the The Temple itself where the rules and expectations would be different and access / posting ability / rules of engagement would be more tightly constrained. It could include journals, chambers, synod, clergy training and academic discussion.

In this way we wouldn't fundamentally change anything, but the presentation, and experience of being here might be radically different. It would be much easier for people weary of the 'Forum' to walk straight past that to the 'Temple', or to the 'Offices' to undertake administrative activities.

In this way we retain our generalized inclusivity and allow specialization for those who want to develop that . People can be as general as they like in the 'Forum' but much more specific in the 'Temple'.

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO Initiate Journal Apprentice Journal Knight Journal Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentice: Tellahane
Apprentice: Squint

Before the truth will set you free, it'll piss you off (MANTRA ~ Bring Me the Horizon)
Last edit: 06 Feb 2019 09:21 by Loudzoo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Arisaig