Have we become too generalized or too specific?

• Br. John
  • Br. John's Avatar Topic Author
  • Busy
  • Master
  • Sr. Ordained Clergy
  • Councillor
More
03 Feb 2019 18:02 #333512 by Br. John

Arisaig wrote:

Rosalyn J wrote: In a lot of ways it might be too general AND to specific

Is that just in general, or specifically speaking? ;p

Yes

According to the Arabic proverb, there are no such things as a Phoenix, a Ghoul, or a True Bosom Friend, but I say to you that I found them all among my neighbors. ~ Kahlil Gibran

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Br. John
  • Br. John's Avatar Topic Author
  • Busy
  • Master
  • Sr. Ordained Clergy
  • Councillor
More
03 Feb 2019 18:04 #333513 by Br. John

Arisaig wrote:

Rosalyn J wrote: Maybe we need to have an All Call voice meeting on discord. I'm also not a fan of digging dirt, but I think frank discussion is important

Would that be an open chat for all? Or Knights only?

I'd think Apprentice and above.

According to the Arabic proverb, there are no such things as a Phoenix, a Ghoul, or a True Bosom Friend, but I say to you that I found them all among my neighbors. ~ Kahlil Gibran

• Arisaig
03 Feb 2019 18:04 #333514 by Arisaig

Rosalyn J wrote: Couldnt find the thread in Council. If there is any discussion we'll have it and then we vote

Thanks for looking Ros :)

More
03 Feb 2019 18:06 - 03 Feb 2019 19:16 #333515 by Rosalyn J

Br. John wrote:

Arisaig wrote:

Rosalyn J wrote: Maybe we need to have an All Call voice meeting on discord. I'm also not a fan of digging dirt, but I think frank discussion is important

Would that be an open chat for all? Or Knights only?

I'd think Apprentice and above.

Would you forsee any issue with have members+?
Last edit: 03 Feb 2019 19:16 by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Arisaig, Kelrax Lorcken

More
03 Feb 2019 18:09 #333516 by Zephyrus
I think we’re asking the wrong question here. For me, it’s less about specificity/generality and more about intensity of showing faith.

We all believe in the Force, here. And, we all believe in the goodness that pours forth from it.

We believe in the doctrine of the temple.

We need to show it, fervently. Wholly. Drastically.

The mystics often say that relationship with the divine is almost.. sexual or romantic. It’s intimate and strong.

When we are so close to the Force that we are wed to it, that’s when clarity will come.

The Black Wizard ~ Rainbow Chaos Magick ~ Thelemite
The following user(s) said Thank You: Omhu Cuspor, Avalon

More
03 Feb 2019 18:23 #333517 by JamesSand
I am not sure what the question is, but by the vague discussion I suppose I can guess something.

Since we're being vague, I think ToTJO tried to be too much to too many and now is nothing to anyone.

You might say it is a toothless tiger.

It's...a big empty concrete carpark. Everyone is welcome, and can enjoy...the big empty concrete carpark.

But who would want to? There's nothing there that is remotely interesting or challenging.

Some people have slightly fancier hats, but I can't see that they are enjoying them more than I am, or that those hats have helped them at all, so why would I even bother asking how they got them, much less strive to obtain one for myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Avalon

More
03 Feb 2019 18:23 #333518 by Zenchi

Connor L. wrote: I think we’re asking the wrong question here. For me, it’s less about specificity/generality and more about intensity of showing faith.

We all believe in the Force, here. And, we all believe in the goodness that pours forth from it.

We believe in the doctrine of the temple.

We need to show it, fervently. Wholly. Drastically.

The mystics often say that relationship with the divine is almost.. sexual or romantic. It’s intimate and strong.

When we are so close to the Force that we are wed to it, that’s when clarity will come.

And individuals who felt this way left, mostly for similar reasons...

You simply cannot be please everyone. Be a church, you'll stir anger in those that treat this a merely a forum. Continue treating it like a hub, and you lose those that contributed the most time and energy...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Omhu Cuspor, Avalon, Loudzoo, Arisaig

More
03 Feb 2019 18:32 #333519 by Zephyrus
I know, Zen. And, that is why we fail.

The Black Wizard ~ Rainbow Chaos Magick ~ Thelemite
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arisaig

More
03 Feb 2019 18:54 #333521 by Loudzoo
Having spent most of 2018 off-site I've noticed quite a change here that might not have been possible for me to see if I'd been active during that time. A lot of the 'bantz' and chat now happens on discord. I'd like to see more of that - discord for bantz and chat. Temple website for journals, study, and the more academic end of the discussion spectrum. The Temple shouldn't be a place for name-calling, finger pointing, and arguments . . . it wouldn't be tolerated in an actual temple / church and I don't think it should be tolerated here either.

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO Initiate Journal Apprentice Journal Knight Journal Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentice: Tellahane
Apprentice: Squint

Before the truth will set you free, it'll piss you off (MANTRA ~ Bring Me the Horizon)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Zenchi, Tellahane, Arisaig, Ambert The Traveller

More
03 Feb 2019 19:43 #333526 by Kyrin Wyldstar
When I was an initiate I had to take a vow to become an apprentice. Same for Knights. For some reason that went away because people complained. This is the best example I can think of, of this place trying to be a place for everyone that has only succeeded in reducing it to a place for no one.

If you want to be a jedi temple then own that and be strong enough to turn those away that are not willing to stand up and commit to the principles this place espouses. I'm not saying turn guests away. Every church has its occasional door swingers, but if you want to belong then you have to commit, and if you want to advance you have to live that commitment.

That is what this place has been lacking for a long time. It is definately a toothless tiger and a clawless one as well. That commitment to standards needs to be regrown from the ground up, and NONE gets to circumvent that. The council has to be willing to accept that some will be ripped to shreds becausd of this and left for dead in order to maintain that integrity.

All are welcome but none get to just pull the tigers tail and get away with it. Meaning the temples doors are open but everyone that walks through also has to take the responsibility to help themselves as well.

This issue has left me disillusioned with the process and I would love to see a return to the temples integrity in this regard!

This guns for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark.
My Journals: Kyrin-Wyldstar

Associate Degree of Divinity - Earned July, 2017
Apprenticed to: Alan, Senan, Mendalicious
Tribute to Senan: My Friend
The following user(s) said Thank You: Omhu Cuspor