The Arrival Of Animals Triggered Earth's First Mass Extinction

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #202192 by
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/animal-arrival-triggered-earths-first-mass-extinction

The Arrival Of Animals Triggered Earth's First Mass Extinction

Warning: Spoiler!

One of the first things I thought of was how this seems to relate exactly to what's happening now with climate change and the occurrence of Intelligence.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #202226 by Adder
Seemingly life is consumption! Its even what Yoda was representing when he first hassled Luke. Though perhaps its the safest base instincts to mimick when meeting new life forms which are larger then you, as it represents hunger (I'm not a good meal because I'm starving) but also weakness as a result which lures the larger creature into making an over confident move and revealing its true nature/intentions more readily.

Which sort of makes evolution a measure of how well we consume... just need to define how we measure 'well' I guess. Population growth is going to be a problem IMO, if we don't get offworld, where the new colony awaits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZNzz4SaTYk

LOL, sorry, I'm a BladeRunner nut, still

Climate change is just one byproduct of that population growth I think, and others will probably emerge just as quick. It's going to be a bumpy ride
:blink:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Adder.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #202234 by OB1Shinobi
since we may develop just enough intelligence to wipe ourselves out it occured to me that life itself may judge intelligence as nothing really special in the long run

an experiment that ran its course
when i had that thought i felt humbled

adding to the idea of overpopulation; i believe that functional immortality will be discovered/developed by advances in biology and biotechnology in the next 100 years, maybe less
which REALLY complicates that issue

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi