Schrödinger's Cat seen within the box..

More
9 years 7 months ago #159177 by Edan
This sounds pretty amazing if you ask me.

Schrödinger's Cat Comes into View with Strange Physics

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Full article here: http://www.livescience.com/47584-schrodingers-cat-comes-into-view.html

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: MCSH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159180 by
Really interesting stuff. Its good to see we finally solved the observation problem. The Schrodinger Cat concept was only ever a description of an observational problem since our tools, in the act of observation, forced one outcome or the other.

More
9 years 7 months ago #159205 by Alethea Thompson
Interesting

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #168615 by
I was looking for the original to see if it was published on April 1....

Heisenburg and the Observer effect both argue against this, so I'm having difficulty wrapping my brain about it...

Actually, I probably lack the brain power for sustained quantum thought....

Gisteron, help us out, what am I missing here (on the logic if not the physics side)?

More
9 years 5 months ago #168642 by Gisteron
I'd love to, but I can't. From what I know a photon is quite enough to produce enough interaction to determine or change a quantum state whether you measure it directly or an entangled photon in its stead. Then again, I know little to nothing about this, so take my word with a grain, nay, a pound of salt. It would help if the article cited its source or provided a link to the paper or a reference to the issue of the journal it was published in. But that would be too convenient and a popular science magazine doesn't need to be convenient.

All in all, chances are that the article goes a long way to misrepresent the actual finding as they never fail to do. The mere comparison of a cat cutout with a quantum state that is in superposition until forced is already laughable and surely that is a comparison the article made because actual physicists wouldn't. The cutout is there whether you see it or not, irrespective of whether you see it directly or a mirror image of it. Also, photons don't change its shape. Actual cats is not what Schrödinger's infamous illustration was about.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 5 months ago #168645 by Wescli Wardest
Honestly, I don’t think Schrödinger ever owned a cat or even knew much about them.
And here are a couple reasons…

1. Every cat in existence can’t help but get into stuff. So if there were a vial of poison in there with the cat, it WOULD be dead.
:ohmy: :blink:
2. You don’t have to open a box to know if a cat is alive in it. You don’t even have to shake and listen for a meow. Every cat in the world goes crazy when they hear a can opener! Just open a can of cat food… you’ll know if the cat is alive or not.
:P :woohoo:

Hahhahahhaha :laugh:

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Tarran,

More
9 years 5 months ago #168646 by Alexandre Orion
I was just left wondering who has to change the cat box ? :sick:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

More
9 years 5 months ago #168653 by Edan

Wescli Wardest wrote: 1. Every cat in existence can’t help but get into stuff. So if there were a vial of poison in there with the cat, it WOULD be dead.

I present to you Cat Circles

(sorry, I know that's off topic!)

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
9 years 5 months ago #168655 by steamboat28
Um, correct me if I'm wrong (and I could be), and I know they're two different phenomena, but doesn't the observer effect apply to superpositional states? I mean, isn't it the act of observing the cat what locks it into one of the two states?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #168658 by

steamboat28 wrote: Um, correct me if I'm wrong (and I could be), and I know they're two different phenomena, but doesn't the observer effect apply to superpositional states? I mean, isn't it the act of observing the cat what locks it into one of the two states?

That's my understanding of it as well. Although I know next to nothing about physics, unless you count watching a lot of The Big Bang Theory.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi