Jedi Knight

More
20 Nov 2019 00:21 - 20 Nov 2019 00:25 #345787 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Jedi Knight
I have another question. What is your purpose in coming here?
Last edit: 20 Nov 2019 00:25 by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Rex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2019 11:50 #345806 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Jedi Knight

Fyxe wrote: I think you are a Jedi Knight if you believe you are!

Interesting. Following that logic: Do you also believe that someone if a doctor if they 'believe' they are, and therefore would you be willing to let them operate on you despite not having any kind of provable qualification?

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reliah, Rex

More
20 Nov 2019 14:37 #345813 by Lumella
Replied by Lumella on topic Jedi Knight
I believe i am a little teapot ..

More
20 Nov 2019 15:46 #345817 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Jedi Knight
Though we have standards here which make someone a knight. We of all people though we may not fulfill this request should not be mocking one's ideas of their path. Humility Jedi. It has served us well in the past and will serve us better in the future.

Fighting what you cannot see, will only lead you to lash out with violence towards everyone. Know your enemy, and you may find yourself a friend.

You can act real rude and totally removed
And I can act like an imbecile- Men without hats

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skryym, Jhannuzs Ian, Kelrax Lorcken, Jake Nislan

More
20 Nov 2019 16:26 - 20 Nov 2019 16:28 #345819 by Fyxe
Replied by Fyxe on topic Jedi Knight
Thank you Kobos, Humility seems lacking. in any case and in the effort to maybe shed a different light on this. yes I believe a doctor is a doctor if they believe they are, it is a mindset to actually getting there. No I would not let a "doctor" operate on my until they actually did get there but as they are doing that I may go to them for advice on medical issues and stuff like that.

Let me ask you this, do you think a man can be a woman or a woman can be a man if they believe they are? This place is a place of tolerance isnt it? do you need a qualification to change sex here as well? not to take this too far but it seems pompus.

What is wrong with believing in being a Jedi Knight?

Where ever you go, there you are. Make the best of it.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2019 16:28 by Fyxe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

More
20 Nov 2019 16:39 #345821 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Jedi Knight
Being a Jedi Knight is a stage of growth that one reaches. In this kind of case, would you say, for all practical purposes, a clear measurement of progress of that growth is expected to exist?

Outside of this temple, anyone can use their own measurements personally for themselves. However, to be recognized by the temple formally, a standard measurement created and used by the temple is administered by way of a degree system here. (IP Lessons, Apprenticships, Knighthood studies, Seminary, etc).

It seems that I know that I know.
What I would like to see is the 'I' that knows me when I know that I know that I know.
- Alan Watts
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reliah, J. K. Barger, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Brick

More
20 Nov 2019 16:46 #345822 by Fyxe
Replied by Fyxe on topic Jedi Knight
He is a Jedi Knight to his family. given that title by them. Does that make him less a Jedi knight than one that is a Jedi Knight here?

Where ever you go, there you are. Make the best of it.

More
20 Nov 2019 16:56 #345824 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Jedi Knight

Fyxe wrote: He is a Jedi Knight to his family. given that title by them. Does that make him less a Jedi knight than one that is a Jedi Knight?

No

To be a Knight in our Order there are requirements, that’s all. Any one can do it. I recommend it. Not that big of a deal. Totally worth the time and effort.

Contact The Clergy
Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Block
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malicious

More
20 Nov 2019 17:15 #345826 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Jedi Knight

Fyxe wrote: He is a Jedi Knight to his family. given that title by them. Does that make him less a Jedi knight than one that is a Jedi Knight here?

No. In terms of formal recognition it means nothing here. They aren't less or more of a TOTJO Knight for being some other sort of Jedi Knight recognized by what ever other authority.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Reliah, Carlos.Martinez3, Brick

More
20 Nov 2019 17:22 - 20 Nov 2019 17:29 #345828 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Jedi Knight

Fyxe wrote: Let me ask you this, do you think a man can be a woman or a woman can be a man if they believe they are? This place is a place of tolerance isnt it? do you need a qualification to change sex here as well? not to take this too far but it seems pompus.

A well made point, but one that I think is not the equivalent of my original remark. Gender Dysphoria is a much discussed, studied and documented occurrence. There is evidence to support the 'man's' claim that they are infact a 'woman' or vice versa. Doubly so if their identification document has been updated to reflect this (though I accept this is not an actual requirement to me believing them to be whatever it is that they purport to be).

This aforementioned evidence is equivalent to having a medical qualification in my 'doctor' analogy.

Fyxe wrote: What is wrong with believing in being a Jedi Knight?

Nothing. I never said there was. I fully believe in Jedi Knights. I know many Jedi knights. I myself aspire to be one upon completion of my Apprenticeship.

But, in this community at least, I don't think 'believing' oneself to be a Jedi Knight actually makes one a Jedi Knight (as recognised by this community) any more than 'believing' oneself to be a doctor makes one a doctor (as recognised by society). Furthermore, IMO, to declare oneself a Jedi Knight in this community without having gone through any sort of demonstrable training does a disservice to those in the community who have dedicated years of service to the temple and the community to achieve that title. Much like declaring yourself a 'doctor' without having done any training is a disservice to those who have studied medicine.

The purpose of titles such as these is to show that an individual has been judged by their peers to have achieved a certain 'standard'. To claim these titles without achieving such a standard is misleading at best and fraudulent at worst.

The uniformed may take for granted the 'doctor' is infact a real doctor and therefore go to them for help and receive the wrong treatment. The uninformed may take for granted that the 'Jed Knight' is infact a real jedi knight (as defined by this order) and enter into an apprenticeship with someone who is not qualified to train them etc.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 20 Nov 2019 17:29 by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reliah, Rosalyn J, J. K. Barger