Senior Knights

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #203986 by TheDude
Senior Knights was created by TheDude
It's my understanding that a Senior Knight is a Knight who has completed the degree scheme to B.Div level.
The Degree Scheme page does list some things, but I have yet to actually figure out what the standards and requirements of the B.Div are.
The A.Div is something which is awarded after completing apprenticeship, which is made clear enough through the FAQ, and that the D.Div is something honorary and (to the best of my knowledge) not connected with anything set in stone.
I can only assume that the B.Div stuff is available after someone is ranked as a Knight, but I'm confused as to why I can't find any other information on it. Is it also honorary, like the D.Div?
Sorry if this information is easily found on the website and I just happened to miss it.

Edit: I know that it involves independent study -- but that's a very wide category. The word "study" itself could mean a great deal many things in this context.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by TheDude.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #203995 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Senior Knights
Yes, you are correct, Senior Knights are those who have eared the B.Div...

You gain access to the relevant information once you reach Knighthood, as before then there's not much point dwelling on it...

The degree scheme is sort of under review at the moment, but B.Div involves a continuation of formal study with the amount of written work required in your B.Div journal theoretically equal to the amount required for a further two Apprenticeships, if that makes sense (although it is currently set up as an independent programme of study - but then again, plenty of students do decide to discuss their work with their former teaching master or with other members). There is a lesson bank with a huge amount of lessons available to do (contributed by the Knights/Masters over the years), which is where most people start off.

So no, it's not honourary, and it usually takes quite a long time to do, hence why you don't see all that many Senior Knights around...

In theory though, any Knight can choose to become a Senior Knight by committing to the studies - the rank denotes the amount of study the person has completed at TOTJO, not any other kind of hierarchy (definitely NOT 'the Council thinks you're a better Knight than the other Knights, so we'll upgrade you to Senior Knight' - it's nothing like that :) )

As I say though, it is under review and we also have a new officer in the position of degree scheme administrator, so it's possible things may work a little differently by the time you get there.

Hope that helps... :)

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Ben.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion, TheDude

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204004 by
Replied by on topic Senior Knights
Where does one find this B. Div. lesson bank? Is it the Journal writings of Knights? Or is there a list of readings/activities?

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 5 months ago #204007 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Senior Knights
http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Lessons--Topics

Look at top two stickyed posts in that forum... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
8 years 5 months ago #204008 by Jestor
Although I thought that was in the KNights forum...

Weird...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
8 years 5 months ago #204009 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Senior Knights

Jestor wrote: Although I thought that was in the KNights forum...

Weird...

If it's still the same as it used to be, only the Knights+ have access to that area, so although it's not in THE Knights forum it's still in A Knights forum... :)

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
8 years 5 months ago #204014 by Jestor

V-Tog wrote:

Jestor wrote: Although I thought that was in the KNights forum...

Weird...

If it's still the same as it used to be, only the Knights+ have access to that area, so although it's not in THE Knights forum it's still in A Knights forum... :)

Ah... That could be..:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 5 months ago #204017 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Senior Knights
Hmm this shouldn't be like this actually, what if someone's interested in the degree scheme but not apprenticeship/rank? Surely there is a better solution now to prevent people from going through the system at the speed of light. Some of the information in those sticky threads is really out of date as well, no wonder people are so confused.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
8 years 5 months ago #204020 by Jestor

ren wrote: Hmm this shouldn't be like this actually, what if someone's interested in the degree scheme but not apprenticeship/rank? Surely there is a better solution now to prevent people from going through the system at the speed of light. Some of the information in those sticky threads is really out of date as well, no wonder people are so confused.

I cannot disagree with what you say here about outdated stuff, except that there is no one dedicated to the upkeep on accurate info, and that patrols threads for old info...

The degree scheme was not offered to someone, as we talked about the IP/ Apprenticeship, as entry level stuff...

It is our right to make it so...

We do not HAVE to offer it separately, and choose to not do so...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Alexandre Orion

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 5 months ago #204035 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Senior Knights
I'm not sure what you mean. The A.Div has always comprised of the IP (which we pegged to its original 100 points as we modified it) + an additional 100 points. the entirety of the degree scheme was self-study when it began, and was self-study when we required the A.Div to be completed before knighthood. It's the lack of lessons, administration, and help from Masters which forcibly involved teaching masters who wanted to see their numerous apprentices knighted.

And it's not necessarily a bad thing... however the inaccessibility of the degree scheme lessons to those who have to go through them in order to move on is just plain stupid. When some masters complained about their apprentices being excessively concerned about points a different solution should have been found...

Or is this just an (ageing) oversight? I can't remember doing more than create a new forum for the knights to put their lesson plans and such away from the apprentice sections back then.

If we were responsible for purposefully restricting access to knowledge after the full-scale launch of the degree scheme out of political concerns with apprentices (instead of telling them to suck it up and be patient) then we seriously lost our way that day. If we forgot to open the forum to non-knights after changing the requirements to knighthood then what a monumental screw-up.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi